Bluebird AWD Tranny in a R??????

1cleangtir

I have searched all over and cant find the answer. Can a Bluebird transmission be used in a GTi-R? I am in the US and am having major transmission issues. I have an opportunity to get a Bluebird AWD tranny for free but I dont know if it will work.

ram5ay

If I remember right, if it is from a U13 then they were brought out about the same time as the GTIR and ran the same drivetrain, not 100% on that though.
Can you not get a look at it to check it is the same? If it is an SR20 it should bolt up ok anyhow.
Hope that helps a bit.

1cleangtir

The Bluebird tranny is about 5 hours away from me, so I can't look at it right now. I was hoping to find someone who knows for sure before I drive that far to get it.

GTiR_Spin

i have a GTiR in PA and shouldnt it be easy to find one of our trannys cause kids use just the motor to swap into G20's and sentra's and not the tranny. I know theres a bunch at JGY's in virginia there has to be a ton in Cali. where are you from?

I love the way our American friends bandy the word "tranny" about without a thought to what it might mean elsewhere in the world :)

1cleangtir

okay......anybody have anything worth a shit to say about my situation? thanks!

NME_RR

if the blue bird has an SR20 or SR20DET thin block, then yes the bell housing will match up to the GTi-R engine block, but......

i have no idea if the drive shafts are in the correct place, or the gear selector, or the centre prop shaft position,, i cant imagine they would be, but ask your self is the gear set going to last? Std GTI-R 220bhp std bluebird alot less, did they make "tranny's" different to cope with the differences in power??

:evil::evil:but if you need a real tranny go to brighton, or Soho:twisted::twisted:

geoff pine

It must be worth your time to contact jgy customs as they sell transmisions for gtir,s and sentras and bluebirds and all things nissan.

Last edited:

1cleangtir

again, I am in the US. it is difficult to come by any GTi-R parts. The bluebird tranny swap would just be a temp. thing. I dont race my car. I DD it and baby it a lot. It never sees full (stock) boost. I just need a tranny to last me a bit till I can afford to have a nice one shipped over.

gtir_pimp

how much would it cost to get one shipped out? if you got to drive 5hrs there and back it will cost just the same in petrol wouldnt it?

1cleangtir

yeah, its only going to be about $60US to get there and back. I was really hoping to find someone who knew for a fact if the Bluebird works or not. I know it will bolt up, but I'm not sure if it matches up with the driveshaft and all that.

U13 4wd bluebird works. The final drive is different. Gear ratios the same. If you luck out and get one from a ltd bluebird it might have a viscous front lsd.

1cleangtir

^ thank you. I sent him an email asking the details of the tranny. I hope it will work. Save me some$$$$$$.

Modform

I have searched all over and cant find the answer. Can a Bluebird transmission be used in a GTi-R? I am in the US and am having major transmission issues. I have an opportunity to get a Bluebird AWD tranny for free but I dont know if it will work.
Here is some information on Gearboxes located in Canada/North America (I can't call them tranny's either - too many connotations)
http://www.canadagtir.com/forums/buy-and-sell/for-sale/trannyx2

I also suggest you post on this forum as it is full of kids who have swapped an R engine into their B13's or G20's - they come up for sale all the time.
http://www.sr20forum.com/forum-index.php

But sell me the LSD if you find one in the bluebird box:p