blowing pistons

J

japedup

a few people have warned me "you will blow the pistons on that i bet you" is this right, is it a common fault on the R or do these people not have a clue what ther on about the R. I HOPE THEY DONT!!!!!!!! :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's common on any turbo car where the owner plays with a bleed valve and doesn't sort the fueling to match.
If your car is standard you'll have no problems.
If you're on high boost and your fuelling is spot on you'll have no problems.
If you're running high boost and the fuelling is out you'll go pop soon enough.
If you run high boost and nitrous you may break a ring land :wink:

I don't think we have any problems like the scooby where bottom ends go pop unexpectedly or mafs fail and take the pistons with them.

I guess those people don't have a clue.

J

japedup

funny you should say that fast guy cos this muppet was a scooby owner.

kyepan

This car has no more problems with piston failure than any other car.. but if the car has been running highter boost, been told by the boys at powerstation that if you run over 1 bar of boost on standard pistons they can crack due to the heat.. the higher temperatures and pressures involved could shorten engine component life. especially the pistons.

And as you probably know little about the history of your car before it was imported there is always the risk that the previous owner has.

My mate said similar things when i bought my R. but about the gearbox.. think he read a buyers guide in max flower or sommit, was then a professed expert... once again the box is fine.. so long as your run standard power.. same with clutch.. etc etc..

hope this helps.. as its such a subjective topic.

O

Olly

Fast Guy said:
If you run high boost and nitrous you may break a ring land :wink:
Yeah or front mount, Apexi boost controller spikeing massively (after the washer boy played with it at car wash) 1.8 bar boost water injection off and then the ring lands break up too. :wink: (happened to a good mate of mine) and his last engine did similar at 1.3 with a top mount :shock: :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

You will only blow the pistons if you're stupid with the boost and don't get the car set up accordingly. Memski runs 1.4bar on stock pistons, but thanks to a well set up PowerFC, he's not had any problems.

I have had a few people quoting old wive's tales at me, but they never have any evidence to back it up. Just ask how they know?

A

Anonymous

pistons

got my R from a garage :evil: sold me a f**king quick one, Engine went bang big style :cry: :cry: :cry: Took it back to garage they said it was a standard car when they sold it too me so no warrenty. It has cost me a lot of money took engine apart not one not two but three pistons melted around the rings found out i was running massive boost it was a lot quicker than my mates evo 6 it was fun but expensive i now have a standard engine running 1 bar for now :D