Best Turbo for 300-350bhp

hmmm

Hi,

This basically continues from my other post ( http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=233463#233463 ).

I want to get my car set to 1 BAR (may be 1.1) and have decided to this by the following...

Unichip
Apexi AVCR
Uprated Clutch

Already have Fuel Pump and Handling sorted.

The car runs 298 bhp at 1 BAR on a bleed valve and this should hopefully increase when remapped through a Unichip.

I want a turbo that is best for this power and gives really low lag and keeps pulling. I don't know much about turbos so your advice here is really appreciated. What do you recommend?

Thanks again.

Uncle Winnet

i have a unichip hks cams front mount ex air filter fuel pump and a standerd turbo set up 1.1 very low lag have been runing this set up for nearly 3 years now so if i was you id stick with the standerd turbo may be have it rebuilt with a 360 bearing

john

youngsyp

The GT28R or GT28RS will give you even less lag and are very good upgrades considering the standard T28 is probably a bit tired by now. You can now get the 'disco potato' with T28 housings so, it should go straight on !!

Have a look at www.atpturbo.com :wink:

hmmm

Is the 'Disco Potato' a different Turbo than the GT28R and RS? and do the GT28 and RS go straight on without any modification?

If I am going to be runing 350 bhp, would a 400bhp turbo give the same force as a 350 bhp Turbo or would it be less efficient at that bhp?
I say this because there is not much difference in price between the GT28RS, GT2871R or GT3071RWG.

I guess what I'm saying is that would the GT3071RWG be as good at 350 bhp when compared to the GT28RS at 350 bhp?

Thanks.

turblio

Just bolted a GT28RS on mine and the low down torque has improved nicely
but until I get it remapped in june cant say what top end of the boost is like
very low lag though :eek: :wink:
Frank

hmmm

Was it a straight fit Frank, without any modifications? Where did you purchase it from and for how much if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.

GINGA

The standard gt28rs (disco potato) will need the intake/outlet, oil return and actuator bracket modifing to fit :wink:
Though luckily its now available with a compressor housing the same as the std turbo so will probably only need the oil return and possibly actuator bracket changing.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-004&Category_Code=GRT

for 300ish hp the gt28r would be best, 350hp gt28rs is best, 400hp gt2871r would be best before deciding on what turbo its best to decide on what power is your ultimate goal? as getting to small a turbo will mean you'll have to upgrade again later and getting to large a turbo will cause more lag than is required :(

P

pimppulsar

i had piperx induction kit, mongoose, pace front mount,norris fuel pump + regulator, hks 264 cams,uni-chip, turbo technics hybrid @ 1.2 bar and i got 350bhp and334ft/lbs...
now using the turbo for 26psi and it's always been god and strong with very very low lag!

hmmm

Uncle Winnet said:
i have a unichip hks cams front mount ex air filter fuel pump and a standerd turbo set up 1.1 very low lag have been runing this set up for nearly 3 years now so if i was you id stick with the standerd turbo may be have it rebuilt with a 360 bearing

john

Are you still using the standard Injectors and MAF mate? I thought they maxed out at around 330 bhp?

Thanks.

G

gtir_r

I got a gt2871r with the same housing as the gt28r
Has to use old wasegate actuator and re-do the outlet from the compressor that was all

:lol:

K

KRS

I thought they maxed out at around 330 bhp?
Last owner of my car was running 353.6BHP @ 1.1 Bar

That was as far as it would go on standard injectors and still be safe, all cars will differ slightly though.