Best Intercooler

hmmm

I need to get myself a a FMIC. Which is the best one to get? I'm asking this as there are som many available at the moment, i.e Forge, Hybrid, SS Autochrome, GT Spec, D2 Power etc... (any I missed out?)

Are some more efficient than others or not? Please post your opinion and thoughts as I don't want to waste money by buying a more expensive intercooler if a cheaper one is just as good.

Keira

despite all the nonsense you read about the cheaper cores ( the ones that are £150ish in the uk now) hybrid style or whatever you call them, als car (evo) had one and if it was good enough for that to see over 500bhp with nice cool charge temps still i'd say theres nowt wrong with them 8)

you can get the kits with pipe run for the gtir for under £300, which will more than cope with anything your're likely to throw at it :wink:

but no doubt someone will say they're pants :roll: :lol:

p.s the rubber parts of the pipe run do indeed suck but no one will see them :wink: :lol:

gunmetalgtir

Which of these kits can you use with the minimum effort required to fit them? (i.e. dont need to move the battery to the boot and relocate other stuff!!)

JIMMYBACK

the hybrid/ss chrome kit will need the inner arches cut out for the pipes the fit and the washer bottle relocated :? not difficult juat time consuming :D

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
deisel weasel said:
despite all the nonsense you read about the cheaper cores ( the ones that are £150ish in the uk now) hybrid style or whatever you call them, als car (evo) had one and if it was good enough for that to see over 500bhp with nice cool charge temps still i'd say theres nowt wrong with them 8)

you can get the kits with pipe run for the gtir for under £300, which will more than cope with anything your're likely to throw at it :wink:

p.s the rubber parts of the pipe run do indeed suck but no one will see them :wink: :lol:

Ahh... You know this place only too well... :lol:

Rishi

P

papdog

Re: ...

hmmm said:
I think the Forge Kit fits dirctly without any mods at all.
Forge kit needs the headlamp mounting and the front bumper bar cutting and the washer bottle moving. Not too bad to do though, fitted my kit on my drive easily in a day.

Graham

hmmm

I'm sure people on here have said that they've fitted their Forge Front Mounts without any mods at all :? .

P

papdog

Unless they've modified it since I bought mine, which is possible as I bought it a year ago or so.

Graham

hmmm

The might have done. Not sure :?.

This was the main reason I was thinking of getting the Forge as I thought no modifications were required.

MarkTurbo

RishiGTiR said:
deisel weasel said:

Ahh... You know this place only too well... :lol:

Rishi
The cheap ones are pants :mrgreen:

Well nobodys said it yet so i thought i would :lol: Only joking, it wouldnt surprise me if some of the cheaper kits were actually better than the expensive ones :wink:

C

chrislloydus

Re: ...

hmmm said:
The might have done. Not sure :?.

This was the main reason I was thinking of getting the Forge as I thought no modifications were required.
You have to cut a section from the bumper bar but you'll have to do that with most kits .
You have to take a notch out from under the headlight too.
When people said you dont need to make any mods, i think they mean you dont have to move the washer bottle/aircon/power steering pipework/battery. It really is just those two cuts you need to make - but it isnt 'no modifications'. I doubt any kit is.........unless you count the Norris which has to come with a new rad.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The Forge one requires you to move the coolant tank to the battery side (2min job) the rest is as described by Chris :wink:

P

papdog

That's what I meant, coolant bottle, not washer bottle :oops:

I knew it didn't look right when I wrote that post :roll: :wink:

Graham

L

LexDakarDatsun

i use the HKS supra TT jobbie :D

driftworks sell unbranded ones for £150 8)