M

Mr Gti_R

does anybody know what is the best gearbox oil to use in the gtir

Thanks Rob

Shaun

Mr Gti_R said:
does anybody know what is the best gearbox oil to use in the gtir

Thanks Rob
I had problems with this oil,its a little on the thickside in my opinion,i used it for around 2 1/2 months and while it was in had lots of problems with gear selections and whining bearings,i've now got a 75/90 semi synthetic gear oil in £20 from my local motorfactors and the gear selection is fine now and no more whining either.

youngsyp

For me, Silkolene Syn 5 has worked wonders. All gear changes are much smoother and I don't get a 'graunching' when changing at high speed to 5th, that I got with the old crap that was in there. Although, this could be because the people who changed it, didn't fill it up enough ?!
You can get it from Opie Oils as already stated or, Apex performance do it for around £8.99 a litre !

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I might have to check my level as my gearbox is getting very graunchy at the moment. It has syn5 in it.

Shaun

Fast Guy said:
Which oil? The silkolene?
:doh: Sorry wrong quote :doh: Yes Silkolene,it was really thick when i filled the box up with it compared to the MT90 i had been using,but put it in anyway and all the gear changes were really stiff,i had to pull it out of gear and push it into the next one.Changed it around 2 weeks ago now and its better than ever :thumbsup: .To behonest i wouldnt use it in any other 'R's gearbox as i feel it's too thick.

Shaun

Fast Guy said:
It's 75/90 isn't it? I thought that was the same as the MT90?
;-) Yes mate,both the same spec oil,thats why i didnt think i would have an issue when i put the Silkolene in,but its definately too thick as its been fine since i changed the oil back for some normal semi synthetic 75/90 :thumbsup: .