best clutch

Dooie Pop Pop

unless your gonna seriously abuse your car round a track id stay away from paddle clutches they are really quite harsh.

the RPS maxstreet is quite heavy underfoot but a good all rounder and pretty cheap too:D

J

jpward

Most OC cars seam to be using Helix Organic's and second id say are the OS Gikens then RPS

Depends on your torque level expected?

Keira

im not attempting to wind you up jp so dont get getting on your high horse :lol:

you cannot, in 1 million years, compare an os giken twin plate to an organic clutch. (if your not comparing them ignore me :lol:)

One is a genuine performance clutch, the other is for fast road use. The new helix, such as allen was using on his car was awesome, quite light, perfect in traffic and took plenty of torque, personally i dont like the rps, tbh i think its a piece of sh!te, dont like fitting them dont like the horrible pedal feel, makes your leg hurt :lol: worse than a giken :lol:

If its a fast road car with occasional track use i'd go for the higher rated helix, for anything else os giken or custom, although the gikens dont seem to be what they used to be with a few people having failures.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
diesel weasel said:
i dont like the rps, tbh i think its a piece of sh!te, dont like fitting them dont like the horrible pedal feel, makes your leg hurt :lol: worse than a giken :lol:
1) What's wrong on the fitting side.
2)What? stiff?
3) Wuss:p

Keira

the 2 i've done have been a sh!te to line up, they were very tight on the input shaft, suppose i might have been having a bad day but never had any issue with any others and the pedal felt like cr@p :lol:

the new helix gets my vote for a road car tbh, it did very well on allens shed

Last edited:

Keira

tenfoloten said:
i want a very strong clutch..
what is the best strong of this 2?
os giken twin plate or superclutch twin plate etc.etc, but expect to pay £900 plus....neither come cheap :sad:

wouldn't have a clue about the other 2, the yellow one (second link) looks nastily cheap to me

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I find the pedal quite hard. Probably harder than my lorrys'. At least I have a strong left leg now.

Tenfoloten-how much power/torque are you hoping to run?

J

jpward

diesel weasel said:
im not attempting to wind you up jp so dont get getting on your high horse :lol:

you cannot, in 1 million years, compare an os giken twin plate to an organic clutch. (if your not comparing them ignore me :lol:)

One is a genuine performance clutch, the other is for fast road use. The new helix, such as allen was using on his car was awesome, quite light, perfect in traffic and took plenty of torque, personally i dont like the rps, tbh i think its a piece of sh!te, dont like fitting them dont like the horrible pedal feel, makes your leg hurt :lol: worse than a giken :lol:

If its a fast road car with occasional track use i'd go for the higher rated helix, for anything else os giken or custom, although the gikens dont seem to be what they used to be with a few people having failures.
No I am fine I know your love afair with me is never ending :hug:

Was not trying to compare as i've only used standard clutches but I do know the major difference going from organic through to multiplate cermatalic ;-)

Short answer I was trying to give was most people are using without problem the helix so unless he has big plans then why look at anything else? If he is looking for a better torque rating then go the Giken route as long as he knows about the sprung and unsprung plates ;-)

davey red.r

ive just had the giken twin plate fitted it was hard pedal at first but you get used to it ;-) ps im a power lifter so that might help also:lol:

Braveheart

I must admit, I had reservations about fitting the RPS maxstreet clutch due to the negative feedback mainly the stiff pedal action and issues with bending clutch forks or blowing seals.
Anyway... I took a chance as it was a good price and is ment to hold 475p/f torque.

It's been in a month now. Bedded in well.
I find it user friendly and not too hard a pedal action either.
Fingers crossed it continues to perform well.

http://www.srbpower.com/rps/max-street.php

Dooie Pop Pop

my rps has been seriously abused but still it holds on:D its a pig in real heavy traffic i' ll admit and iv no idea what the new helix is rated at torquewise but at the time i had no other realistic option.

J

jpward

Dooie Pop Pop said:
my rps has been seriously abused but still it holds on:D its a pig in real heavy traffic i' ll admit and iv no idea what the new helix is rated at torquewise but at the time i had no other realistic option.

309Lb Organic
328Lb Cermatalic
380Lb 6 Puk Cermatalic

;-)

Dooie Pop Pop

dooie pop pop approximately 400lbft

:nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner:

cheers for the info though;)

Last edited:

Fazz

I'm not sure on the cermetallic Helix but I did recently get a new Organic one supposedly rated to 330 lb/ft and somewhat seen as conservative.

No slipping on road driving, though when hot did smell a tad on heavy use.

Then I got to Santa Pod, and she slipped on most launches.

I'm running around 370 lb/ft and its just not good enough.

gonna bite the bullet and go with the RPS Street Max I think. Saying that, I didn't know Helix did a stronger one. But is this the paddle version??? I thought I had the highest rated Helix Organic one but could be wrong....???

J

jpward

Fazz said:
I'm not sure on the cermetallic Helix but I did recently get a new Organic one supposedly rated to 330 lb/ft and somewhat seen as conservative.

No slipping on road driving, though when hot did smell a tad on heavy use.

Then I got to Santa Pod, and she slipped on most launches.

I'm running around 370 lb/ft and its just not good enough.

gonna bite the bullet and go with the RPS Street Max I think. Saying that, I didn't know Helix did a stronger one. But is this the paddle version??? I thought I had the highest rated Helix Organic one but could be wrong....???
They do a 6 paddle one but its not listed any were ;-)

PS they are also finialising the development on a twin disc unit that will fit the R well so the MD told me and hopes to come in under £700 ripping gikens prices to bits! ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ask Odin which clutch he had. Sure it was a 6puk paddle, sure he said it was quite light too.