Best Brake Pads ?

S

shaun999

What are the best Brake pads to get for standard calipers, also what discs (standard size) are good.

davey red.r

mintex are up there, for instant stopping power,
saying that on the standard calliper, you aint going to be getting much stopping power.

davey;-)

KF79GTIR

I will have a set of tarox drilled and groved discs and pads for sale in the next few weeks i found they were marginaly better than standard stoppers pm me if you are interested. Kev.

Last edited:

youngsyp

Where's Fubar Andy when you need him ? :lol:

I'd recommend Mintex M1144 compound.
You should at least get some drilled discs and stainless braided brakes lines though as, the Mintex pads won't make much difference with the tiny blank OE discs !

Paul

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
youngsyp said:
Where's Fubar Andy when you need him ? :lol:
Stuck on the M6!!! :doh: :sad:

shaun999 said:
What are the best Brake pads to get for standard calipers, also what discs (standard size) are good.
If you’re feeling flush then I'd look at upgrading your brakes straight away for something safer. ;-)

stevepudney said:
Just to let you all know that Rally Designs are offering the below on the 280 mm Willwood brake kit.

The 280mm kit is going for £399 plus shipping. I've been told that if there are two or more buying from the Owners club then they'd be able to offer a 20% discount (thats the maximum discount offered).

If your interested in buying then please contact Rally Designs personally on 01795 531871 and say your aware of the 20% discount being offered to gtiroc members.

Steve
Click here

This would be a better bet than just going with up-rated pads. However, this is depending on what or how you drive and if you've got the cash in your back pocket?

If you’re going to be just driving around town then I would recommend a nice set of Mintex 1144’s. These are easy to find at most motorsport part suppliers. They will take a decent fast road beating, couple them with some rear 1144’s and you’ll be sorted. ;-)

If your going to be heading more of a fast road/trackday set up then perhaps some Mintex 1155’s or DS2500’s.
These pads are good for fast B road driving and should cope with most things that you throw at it. On track they offer decent braking efficiency and should fair well dependant on how hard you work them.

I’d also recommend braded line all round as these also help with braking and give a more confident feel. Also make sure you use decent brake fluid and change that if and when it needs changing :thumbsup:

If you’re wanted up rated discs then I would recommend some grooved tarox discs. They seem to have lasted the longest for me and they are heat treated so they can withstand more of a beating. Try to stay away from drilled discs as they have a habit of cracking.

Other brands such as EBC and Black Diamond are ok, but at the end of the day you pay for what you get with those brands. Also keep away from green stuff pads, not even worth buying regardless of how cheap they are.

Hope thats of some use?

Sam_M

Ive noticed a massive difference on standard discs with Mintex 1144`s, fantastic pads. My car was dangerous with some oe nissan pads with standard brakes before, but the Mintex have made such a huge difference with a good bleed,

I havent had brake fade from them yet but on the track most likely a different story, altho for general road use, there is no issue at all.

youngsyp

fubar andy said:
If your going to be heading more of a fast road/trackday set up then perhaps some Mintex 1155’s or DS2500’s.
These pads are good for fast B road driving and should cope with most things that you throw at it. On track they offer decent braking efficiency and should fair well dependant on how hard you work them.
Andy,

What are the M1155's like from cold ?

I have M1144's on the front at the minute and although I can't say I've ever noticed them fading, I'm sure it can't hurt to have the high temp capabilities of the M1155's if I want to push the car a bit harder on air fields etc...
The car does get used for 99% of the time on the road though.

All the info I can find is that they are good up to about 100 to 150 degrees C higher than the M1144's, they have an average friction coefficient of about 8% lower than the M1144's and look to respond as well as the M1144's from cold. Of course, those graphs never tell the whole story....

Paul

P.s. Sorry to hijack your thread shaun999 !

leemh

i got drilled and grooved disks on mine with red stuff pads seems fine to me tbh but mine aint no 400bhp monster though

johnsy

drilled and grooved disc are a waist of time unless its for the track or show ,id go with group N disc the more surface the better, pagid blue pad s are supposed to be good

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
youngsyp said:
Andy,

What are the M1155's like from cold ?

I have M1144's on the front at the minute and although I can't say I've ever noticed them fading, I'm sure it can't hurt to have the high temp capabilities of the M1155's if I want to push the car a bit harder on air fields etc...
The car does get used for 99% of the time on the road though.

All the info I can find is that they are good up to about 100 to 150 degrees C higher than the M1144's, they have an average friction coefficient of about 8% lower than the M1144's and look to respond as well as the M1144's from cold. Of course, those graphs never tell the whole story....

Paul
The 55’s have a reasonable bite from cold. Granted if you’re going to be thrashing your car on a regular basis and perhaps hitting race tracks or air fields then it might be worth looking at 55’s but as I always say it depends on how you drive and how hard you use your brakes.

If you feel that you’re not exceeding the 44’s performance then I’d seen no real reason to change them unless you’re going to do something more strenuous. There is nothing wrong with upgrading your 44’s to 55’s and see how you get on with them.
I have 3 sets of pads for different things. Around town is use Mintex 1144’s, for the track DS2500’s and a set of 1166’s for anything else or track!

I would recommend upgrading your rear pads though. I was shocked to find out how much the rear brakes work/take a beating over standard OE pads which cannot cope. 44’s (cost-wise) for the rear are more than OE rear pads, but I would fit them as they can and do make a difference when driving; giving you (as a driver) more braking power, confidence and stability. Also I’ve said it before, but braded lines; Get them all round! A good value for money addition and give your peddle a better feel when braking.

Manufactures pad information is always good to read and digest, but I always reserve judgement until I’ve used them. Its also worth seeing what other peoples views are and how they rate them ;-)

youngsyp

johnsy said:
drilled and grooved disc are a waist of time unless its for the track or show ,id go with group N disc the more surface the better, pagid blue pad s are supposed to be good

I'd have to disagree with that for the following reasons:

1. Cross drilled discs, by design, expel the gas that builds up between the pad surface and disc surface when the pads heat up. This will reduce the effects of brake fade and so give you more confidence in the stopping power of your set up. In a powerful car like the GTiR, this is essential in my mind and is a definte benefit, where the stock brake discs are just not large enough.

Porsche, Audi and Mercedes wouldn't fit drilled discs from the factory, if there was no benefit on a road car. ;-)

2. Grooved discs of course do something similar but, will wear the pads out quicker and be more noisy. The grooves can also get caked up if you don't alway use your brakes hard.

The only benefit of a true 'Group N' disc is that a superior grade of steel is used (grey steel ?!) so, they have slightly better heat properties. They will still allow the pads to suffer more fade as, the gas will still build up betwen the disc and pad surfaces !

Paul

youngsyp

fubar andy said:
The 55’s have a reasonable bite from cold. Granted if you’re going to be thrashing your car on a regular basis and perhaps hitting race tracks or air fields then it might be worth looking at 55’s but as I always say it depends on how you drive and how hard you use your brakes.

If you feel that you’re not exceeding the 44’s performance then I’d seen no real reason to change them unless you’re going to do something more strenuous. There is nothing wrong with upgrading your 44’s to 55’s and see how you get on with them.
I have 3 sets of pads for different things. Around town is use Mintex 1144’s, for the track DS2500’s and a set of 1166’s for anything else or track!

I would recommend upgrading your rear pads though. I was shocked to find out how much the rear brakes work/take a beating over standard OE pads which cannot cope. 44’s (cost-wise) for the rear are more than OE rear pads, but I would fit them as they can and do make a difference when driving; giving you (as a driver) more braking power, confidence and stability. Also I’ve said it before, but braded lines; Get them all round! A good value for money addition and give your peddle a better feel when braking.

Manufactures pad information is always good to read and digest, but I always reserve judgement until I’ve used them. Its also worth seeing what other peoples views are and how they rate them ;-)
Thanks mate.

I might just try the M1155's and see how I get on.

I have Pagid 'fast road' pads on the back that are due for a change soon so, will definitely replace them with the M1144 compound pads. I must admit that I didn't really notice much any change when these were fitted but, I think I did the fronts at the same time...

I've had braided hoses all round pretty much since owning the car. I also have 308mm discs fitted at the front and have never run out of braking power with my current set up.
I'm generally quite light on the brakes but, can use them every now and again so, if the M1155's have adequate cold bite, they sound ideal.

Cheers

Paul

davey red.r

tenfoloten said:
what do think about ebc redstuff and ecb yellowstuff?
ive got the red stuff ones on my hispec for pot callipers,not that good when cold,but once they are warmed up, say ten mins,best pads ive had,fitting mintex to rear to balance things out a bit.

davey;-)

davey red.r

tenfoloten said:
thanks;)

I want install yellowstuff at the front and redstuff at the rear..
what do you think?
just play about with your selection,whatever suits your driving,
and what sort of daily mileage you cover,if its short journeys? id go for mintex all day long or the yellow stuff secondly,forget red stuff in rears,try yellow stuff in the rears and red in the front, or yellow all round, see how you go,keep us posted.

davey;-)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
tenfoloten said:
thanks;)

I want install yellowstuff at the front and redstuff at the rear..
what do you think?
Raccomando Redstuff nel davanti e nel retro. Lo Yellowstuff potrebbe essere troppo estremo per la strada. Comunque consiglierei sulle imbottiture di qualità migliori.

*i think that makes sense

thanks at all;)

I want use my R in track day,too..
in conclusion
red front red rear
yellow front red rear
??

what model of mintex is good for track days and fast road use??

my friend has got all yellowstuff on his s14a..
and he use his car on the road and in the track days