best brake pads for hispecs

GTIR-LOZ

hi my mintex 1144s are far too noisey they really make a horrible metal grinding noise in traffic making it embarrasing to drive ive tried everything inc grease/chamfering etc but its always the same apparantly mintex are noisy

are there any pads that give the same braking response but without the noise, i was going to get pagid blues but they are noisy as well i have read

the brakes have grooved discs which may be the prob with the pads

so all hispec owners pipe up which are the best pads

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
A grinding noise, I’d be worried if it’s grinding! Do you mean squealing sound?
You might find that most performance pads squeal when driving. My DS2500’s are noisy at cool temperatures, as are my Mintex 1155’s. Yet when they are hot they stop squeaking.
I’m running Mintex 44’s at the moment (day to day use) with no squealing only when they are “worked” up to temperature do they make any noise. ;-)

You could try CarboTech (AX6 or XP8’s) in Cumbria; I found those to be quiet and gave a decent “bite” from cold?

Other than that iirc Hi-Spec pads are the fitment same Volvo's, so you could always stick a set of road going Volvo pads in there? :thumb:

GTIR-LOZ

well i say grinding but its pad squeal but not the light high pitched noise its a real heavy metally squeal i could put up with a light squeal but not this its terrible they are probably excellent on a track etc as they stop very well but not when your in traffic and you brake and everyone starts looking at you:oops:

im not sure about volvo ones lol

did your mintex's come with ant noise backing plates as i read that they do however mine doesnt have any and i just used pad grease it cured it for about 10 minutes then it got worse and worse

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
GTIR-LOZ said:
did your mintex's come with ant noise backing plates as i read that they do however mine doesnt have any and i just used pad grease it cured it for about 10 minutes then it got worse and worse
I never bother putting backing plates or grease in any of my pads, just stick them in and away I go :thumb:

I'd just say that the noise is the copper in the pads that is squeaking against the disc. Perhaps a pad that's more carbon based that copper might be the best option for you?

Carbon Lorraine (RC5) comes to mind, but I’ve never tried them!

Have a word with Hi-Spec about the packing plates and if they are the same fitment at Volvo pads, as they were the ones who told me about it. ;-)

Last edited:

davey red.r

ive had mintex 1144s in and red stuff in my hispec billet fours same result as yours grinding noise, more so under heavy braking,
do you get calliper flex on the hispecs try your windows down and listen this is what mine do,
tbh,i wont be going down this route again,
will be keeping the setup i have at the moment, black diamond all round for a while, as they work very well compared to other gtir,s ive had:-D :?
id only buy ap now. but its getting them as they hardly ever come up for sale,
or maybes brembo.

davey;-)

GTIR-LOZ

how can you tell if you have caliper flex by having your window down?

mine is totally fine under heavy braking on very light braking its bad, im sure its not the calipers as they seem well made

N

nellypayton

just a suggestion, when u fitted the pads did u copper grease the back of them thats usually one prob, i have EBC discs n red stuff all round (recently fitted) and they are spot on, they sqweeled on break in but fine now.

GTIR-LOZ

yeah i used lots of it makes no difference i spoke to hispec and they assured me it was due to the mintex pads in there

davey red.r

GTIR-LOZ said:
how can you tell if you have caliper flex by having your window down?

mine is totally fine under heavy braking on very light braking its bad, im sure its not the calipers as they seem well made
because i was driving along 1 day with both windows down, and when i started braking i heard like a stretching cable noise, under braking,
so i got a mate to jump in the car and put his foot on the brakes for me, and thats when the calliper flex was revealed,:x
if i hadnt of had the window down i would not of heard it,
its just a suggestion,
costs nothing to try it does it,

davey;-)

N

nellypayton

did you break them in if not and you jumped on them to test how good they are it tends to grind/sqeal and you could have damaged your discs. im not 100% sure its just off the top of my head mate.

MarkTurbo

GTIR-LOZ said:
If it was me i'd try to get hold of some backing plates before changing pads, the squeeling is basically vibration somewhere so backing plates & copper slip may cure it. If not have you used you brakes hard lately? Sometimes with fast road/race pads only using them gently can have a detrimental effect, if you dont do it already go out and get them really hot and see if that makes any differance ;-)

P

pulsarboby

as mark said above!
also as red reading has said is also true

youll find that the brakes have a tendency to glaze over with light use which then makes them make a racket (especially with grooved discs.

i found this with my k sports but i then had the disks skimmed and run over the pad surface with some 60 gtit sandpaper and now they are fine with very little noise (and more importantly, no vibration anymore from them).

GTIR-LOZ

they are virtually brand new to be honest, the pads are not glazed and i have used them hard, but not for a while maybe i will have a go tonight i have also ordered some of the mintex pad grease, maybe that will work better, im not sure where to get shims from though?