been sat for 4 weeks now white smoke

Godzilla

the car had been sat a while after the pedal box went so was scared to drive it incase anything else broke anyway its been fixed a week now and only took it out for a run today and its started puffing white smoke on boost but only started bout half hour into using the car once warm obviously,any opinions what it might be, condensation maybe as its ben sat, it was running sweet as a nut before it was at for that time, will it just need to be run off so to speak , or am i looking at a new turbo or something.

Last edited:

Godzilla

no ,its what u get when u buy a 20yr old car i guess, thing is the car is great no rust or anything , just odd bits going cos there old,

P

pulsarboby

white smoke = blown head gasket, or possibly blown turbo if its white and blue smoke mixed!
if it doesnt clear then thats your prob fella

Godzilla

Ok its just white as much as i can see ,of it don't clear then il be in touch bob for whatever I might need to replace

Godzilla

Iv just been for a spin up the motorway got home and revved so I could see the smoke and it does look kind of blueish , so what would a standard good working turbo cost also asking as I don't boost it should be ok to drive normally won't it

gtir_pimp

try a compression check and also take the intake pipe off the turbo and then try moving the shaft to see for any play up n down or side to side, then report back! if it was ok before you stopped using it there shouldnt be anything majorly wrong with it now unless something was on the edge off breaking.

gtir_pimp

on the right of the turbo yes. short metal pipe with 2 12mm bolts holding it on. undo those bolts and jubilee clip on induction pipe. you migh have to jack the car up a bit to get to the bolt underneath, makes life easier.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Iv just been for a spin up the motorway got home and revved so I could see the smoke and it does look kind of blueish , so what would a standard good working turbo cost also asking as I don't boost it should be ok to drive normally won't it
Check if there is any oil in the the intercooler pipes, it might be the turbo seals.

Check out www.turboforce.co.uk in Preston, if I'm right they will do a standard turbo, standard refurb for about £250

Godzilla

thanks andy il give them a bell if i do have any play on the turbo or is i see oil in the ic pipe.

gtir_pimp, il have to wait till tomorrow to take it off as it still warm dont wanna burn myself lol

gtir_pimp

just leave the bonnet open for about an hour and it will be cool enough to touch. i did with mine yesterday. im also after a turbo now. not sure about the rebuild route as people have said once repaired very few of them actually last. looking for a second hand unit

Godzilla

just managed to get it off then . inside turbo moves sideways about 2mm so has some slight play, also intake plastic pipe i put my fingers in and they came out dripping with oil , not had ic pipe off yet as i no the gasket has gone and was a pain to get back on with a section of the gasket missing, (i need a new one)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
just managed to get it off then . inside turbo moves sideways about 2mm so has some slight play, also intake plastic pipe i put my fingers in and they came out dripping with oil , not had ic pipe off yet as i no the gasket has gone and was a pain to get back on with a section of the gasket missing, (i need a new one)
Sounds like what has happened to mine, but yours is more down the line than mine.
When I checked I had a little play in the shaft and there was oil residue in the i/c pipe. There was a touch of blue smoke under WOT on track, but that was all and nothing that I would call an issue!

The guys at Turbo Force do the £250 rebuilds on oil journal turbo’s (not 360’s).
I know a few people that have had theirs done and converted to 360’s and all have lasted well over 12months. :thumb:

Godzilla

andy what did it cost them to have it upgraded to 360 and would uprating it sort the problem aswell like changing what has gone be part of the upgrade anyway,
here is 2 pics with bits of oil on , i/c pipe had oil in but was dry, not like on the inside of the inlet pipe

Godzilla

just been looking on ebay and found a S14a T28 (im not going to buy it ) and he says its got 2mm play which is ment to be ok , now is this guy trying to flog a dead horse or do they have abit of play new cos if i end up buying a new one rathere than rebuilding mine il be seriously pissed if it has the same play in it as mine (and mine was ok but just smoking cos of something simple)

Godzilla

heres a pic of the plastic inlet im guessing that oil is coing out of the rocker and down the inlet is this normal and could this be my problem as the turbo is sucking its pulling bits of oil that is resting in the inlet,

Fusion Ed

There should be almost no play at all. End to end there should be nothing and side to side really really small amount of play.