Battery and airfilter swap for cold air box.

youngsyp

I've been doing a bit of research with cold air feeds etc.. Now I want to swap the position of the battery and airfilter so that I can make a cold airbox behind the passenger headlight. How difficult is it to swap these two around and what parts am I likely to need ? I know that a couple of firms do a kit but, I don't wanna spend £350 for something I could do myself, learn from and probably do a better job.

Cheers

Paul

J

jiw

stevepudney was selling kits off on here to re-locate your battery however i dunno how practical it was, its my next mod after the engine rebuild, the brake upgrade and the suspension lol

G

GAZ P

I want to swap mine as well, what kits are available or would it be cheeper to do it myself :?:

A

Anonymous

IT'S A VERY VERY GOOD IDEA !!

I thin I will do it one next day .

I already got a carbon box for my batterie, so I can put it behind the rear seat to take the place for a BIG air box .....

youngsyp

Only problem with this is that I don't want the battery in the boot. To do that is very simple. Trust me to pick the difficult route :roll:

I've seen the swap on a few R's and it looks like the standard tray is used. Anyone else got any ideas ?

Eric R, just a word of caution with regard to putting the battery behind the rear seats. If you mean behind the drivers or passenger seats, you should change for a gel cell battery as normal lead acid batteries give off gasses that will poison you if you have it in the cabin :wink:

Mr GTiR

youngsyp said:
Eric R, just a word of caution with regard to putting the battery behind the rear seats. If you mean behind the drivers or passenger seats, you should change for a gel cell battery as normal lead acid batteries give off gasses that will poison you if you have it in the cabin :wink:
FUCK :shock: going to change mine back to the boot :!:

youngsyp

Mr GTiR- It's not only the gases that could cause a problem, what if, heaven forbid, the car rolls on its roof ? Battery acid everywhere :shock:

Even when they are in the boot, you should really put a vent hose to the outside of the car. Most lead acid batteries will have a vent somewhere on them. Just put a bit of pipe to this and put the other end venting outside the car, through one of the boot vents maybe ?!

Mr GTiR

youngsyp said:
Most lead acid batteries will have a vent somewhere on them
where can this be found? a pic with a big arrow pointing to it would be good as i can't find the dam vent!!

ta

geetee

Most lead acid batteries will have a vent somewhere on them
Errmm... most lead acid batteries these days are sealed and don't have a vent.

I know 100% mine doesn't, I can turn it upside down and shake it and nothing comes out.

Still not a good idea in the cabin unless it is well secured. In a crash it could become a very nasty missile.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

youngsyp

That's a bit strange as you would expect the battery to explode when charging !
Just done a bit of research and it appears there a a few types of lead acid battery. The sealed ones re-circulate the gas as long as the charge rate isn't too high. Apparently, the gas given off is only oxygen as well ?! So, looks like you should be fine.
Just goes to show, don't always believe what you read :wink:

Any more ideas with regard to my idea ?
I have contacted Hiteq who do a 'cold air induction kit'. Apparently, this is just a pipe that allows you to fit the airfilter behind the headlamp but, they only do the rest of the work if you take the car to them ?! Looks like it's back to the drawing board !!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Good idea. Probably simplest to move the battery to the boot though.

Quite simple to do... but I'm an electrical engineer. My battery was sealed anyway so it just needed to hold it to the floor with a bracket and the positive running back to the original position in the front. Make a new earth in the boot. Cost about £20 for the bits. I didn't bother with a box as the boot space is limited so just blended it in with some old Nissan carpet I had.

Note cover over the terminals with plastic/rubber. If you drop a spanner etc between the two it will weld it.

It creates space in the front and balances weight better for the car.

Cold air box can only help too and there is pleanty of gaps around the front head light to suck more cold air in.

Do it.. Do it.... Do it

geetee

Note cover over the terminals with plastic/rubber. If you drop a spanner etc between the two it will weld it.
I did that many years ago working on a mates car.... quite impressive :lol: :lol:

Well I thought so ...

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

youngsyp

campbellju- It's not an option for me to move the battery to the boot. I need all the space in there and, just don't like the idea of having the battery in the boot.
As I say, this has been done before as I have seen it on a number of cars on the forum. So, it can't be that hard and there must be someone who can give me some information.
I am gonna upgrade my current cold air feed on Saturday to a 100mm pipe from the front. I may try to have another look and see if I can create a heatshield, just for now :wink:

Nad

U spin the standard battery tray around on its mountings, drill one new hole and get a new air pipe, job done.

Nad

youngsyp

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go. I have a couple of people in mind to create the pipe but, Eric-R has a nice piece of kit on his car that might mean I don't have to move anything :wink:

Cheers

Paul