bad v-power

GTIR-LOZ

hi really just a post to see if anyone else is suffering i filled up from cold at southend shell opposite the bell - i filled up from empty and about five miles down the road it lost all power then come back to life then another few hundred yards did the same then was ok, then the next day drove about 7 miles fine then cut out again except it would not start meaning i blocked up the A127 while i pushed her up the road :oops: left it for a while and it started again but i got it recovered all the same im guessing its dodgy fuel as i have had no problems before the fill up, has anyone else experience any problems with shell fuel i thought it was meant to be good stuff???

i was also going to change the fuel pump if shell end up paying which walbro 255 is the high pressure one that doesnt drop off flow with high fuel pressure anyone know the part number???

rx jamie

if it was bad fuel, the outside of the shell station and surounding areas will have been clogged with broken down cars. so you can safely assume it was something else. also i think the last time there was bad fuel around it had silicon in it? correct me if wrong. so it would be a new engine job if its the same problem. im sure it will be in the press if its fuel because it wont have just affected you

you could have just filled the fuel pump or filter with crap with the tank being so empty.

Last edited:

GTIR-LOZ

yes it was silicon from tescos but you didnt need a new engine just o2 sensors fuel pumps etc, i could of just got the bottom of the tank sh1tty fuel or something i am going get a fuel sample to have look at and it could be that my R is quite highly tuned with quite a bit ignition advance that might have something to do with it, seems strange that it only happened after filling up though imj not sure what else it could be maybe the fuel pump starting to fail

rx jamie

that could just be a coincidence. most little faults with cars occure after they have been started up in the morning or after they have had the ignition switched on and off dont they. many times i ve went to a car after spending the day at work or been in a shop and ****er wont start. yet it worked perfectly on the way there.from what you have described and the fact you havent heard of any other cases, on local radio stations, by word of mouth or in the local press i can pretty much say that i'm 100% certain its not fuel related.
theres a lot of road salt about these days and its been wet lately. what are your earths looking like? give all your earths a good clean a good dose of wd40 to dispell any moisture. you connectors too. check you plug bores for moisture as well as the dizzy cap.

P

pulsarboby

dont think its fuel loz as i use the same fuel station and i recently have put some v power in a couple of cars from there.
my brother was on his way to london the other day and said he saw a broken down grey pulsar on a127 nr billericay so guess that must have been you, i was trying to think whos car it could have been.

i would say that you have a bad connection somewhere so check all the multiplugs to ign module coil etc to make surec everythings making a good connection, and il see ya later today to pick up the datalogit

GTIR-LOZ

ture but my car was warm and id just driven her to the fuel station and after cutting out on way home it did it again the next day, my engine is basically new still as are all the earths etc, its def fuel related as i managed to flood the car trying to restart her and when it cut out my a/f/r gauge was reading ---- which means super lean basically if its not the fuel it must be the pump/filter or something else related

it only happened yesterday and not everyone fills up with v-power! hopefully you are right and its something silly but someone has to be the first in these cases, also there are not many cars that require the amount of fuel my car seems to with the 700's in place

P

pulsarboby

if it were dodgy fuel loz then it would run like pooh all the time after you filled up (not intermittently) which makes me think dodgy connection somewhere.
but as you say you could get a sample tested to make sure

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've had bad fuel from BP before - my local station apparantly had a leaky tank, and when it rained heavily they'd get water in their 'Ultimate 98'. It didn't upset my car so much, but it would kill the wife's scooter and I'd have to drain the water back out of the float valve on the carbies.
That wasn't BPs fault, it was the local garage.

GTIR-LOZ

ok you were all right and i was wrong:oops: i seem to have lost the earth from my fuel pump relay so the relay is not switching:doh:

does anyone have a wiring diagram for that bit its pin number 1 and its a black yellow wire, it has no live/earth so i assume its a broken wire or something i have the lives from the other 2 pins and the relay is switching if i test it its not imobiliser as that cuts the live to the relay and they are both there

GTIR-LOZ

i just powered up the output of the relay with a power probe heard the pump run and up the pressure shot started it with the relay back in and the car idled then slowley cut out again def wire prob on that pin number 1 i assume it should be an earth as the relay needs one on that pin to switch but testing the wiring its open circuit

GTIR-LOZ

yeah i will prob run a new earth but will have a look to see if its ecu related as thats what provides the earth

cheers joe i have ruled out the actual fuel now - why dont you put 40 quid in and last for 4 days:der:

gtirjoey

are you running a walbro mate as i had this problem with to walbro's, in the end i fitted a bosch unit which has been reliable as hell.
to be honest loz i am to tight and if i see my fuel gauge is above half way i go a bit funny and just start enjoying the car to much and waste the fuel!

rx jamie

i always do that joey. in theory if you put a tenner in a day for four days the fuel will last longer than if you dump 40 quid in, in one go anyway. thats my excuse