Bad manifold blow-out.

D

DOT2DOT

Have a big exhaust leak coming from the manifold. Havent stripped it yet, but just want to know is there much bother with manifolds cracking?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It may just be a blowing gasket.

Is it the factory cast one or a tubular manifold?
Tubulars are reknown for cracking, but standard ones can crack also if you run too much boost/heat through them. If you have cracked a factory one, check your turbo exhaust housing for cracking too. :wink:

D

DOT2DOT

Yeah its a standard one, but I would hate to strip it down to fit a new gasket and find that I need a manifold. If its not common for them to crack then I will go ahead. Cheers

ChrisS

The nuts holding the turbo to manifold have also been known to work loose, so it could be that.

antgtir

ChrisS said:
The nuts holding the turbo to manifold have also been known to work loose, so it could be that.
Check for this problem first before you do anything as it is most probably that rather than a cracked standard manifold.

I did exactly the same thing, i stripped the manifold off and replaced the gasket, put everything back together including top mount grrr started it hoping that it was sorted and lone behold it blew like a mo fo, so i looked under the car at the manifold and sure enough the turbo was hanging on for dear life lol, replaced the bolts for actual studs and lock nutted them all and ever since i haven't had a re-occurance :D

You can normally hear the turbo whistling louder than norm if the turbo bolts have gone walkies.

Ant.

D

DOT2DOT

Ok done a little stripping today. When I bought her I was told its the original turbo + never been worked at. I found out he wasnt lying. Every heatshield bold snapped, even soaked with wd and tried working them easy. One intake pipe bolt snapped off in the turbo. Generally a complete b@st@rd of a job. Found you guys are right its leaking between the turbo and manifold, so ill have to take the whole lot off anyway to sort it and its gonna need all new gaskets + bolts + heatshields and probably the banjo bolts will break off the turbo so ill need them too. Plus its gonna take hours of messing about to fix. :x I hope this isnt the sign of things to come!

O

Odin

DOT2DOT said:
I hope this isnt the sign of things to come!

Welcome to the wonderfull world of R ownership matey :lol: :lol: :lol: .

rob

D

DOT2DOT

I used to be a vauxhall nut, so im well used to it! :lol: lol

antgtir

You should have done what i do and get the welding gear on the little feckers lol :twisted: :lol:

A bit of heat works wonders on seized in botls and nuts etc. I did mine the first time lying on my back under the front of the car for what seemed like a day lol, the next time i took it to where i used to work and lifted it up on the ramps :D

Goodluck with the job mate, at least you know its not anything serious :wink:

Ant.

D

DOT2DOT

Cheers mate. Went and bought a load of gaskets, nuts, studs and washers etc today. £80 odd quid for damn all really. Aw well it will be well worth it to stop it doing the Massey Ferguston impression. lol

D

DOT2DOT

wow - That really is a far worse job than expected. That bolt that lies right behind the turbo flange is a real mission. Only got it off after burning it and removing the elbow, which also has one really tricky nut on it. Had to modify about three spanners to make special tools. Had two studs snap in the head and one in the turbo, which makes matters worse. Im just glad im not doing it as a homer. :cry:

ChrisS

Got to bear in mind the nut possibly hasnt been touched for 15 yrs so its going to be awkward. I rounded it the first time i took my manifold off and that did cause fun and games. :oops: It'll be easier next time if your unlucky enough to have to do it again :wink: