Auto electricians on here? passat towbar!

Jon Olds

I am stuck.
The new Passat has a single filament bulb for stop and tail. (1 wire : PWM drive)
Anybody know how to wire it to a bypass relay then to a towbar?
Regards
Jon

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Isn't there supposed to be a specific loom for you to buy/install that does this? - I don't have any personal experience, but that seems to be the recommendation for people on the Hyundai owner's club when they're trying to install a towbar.

I may have that slightly confused because they also prattle on about how to prevent the parking sensors making noise about their caravan when they try to reverse.

red reading

Ask on the vw or skoda forums, I am sure you need an add on loom and you also have to use vag.com diagnostic tool to activate the facility in the ecu.

Jon Olds

Thanks guys.
The spiel talks about a blue connector as the interface point. No sign of that anywhere, I have had all the rear boot trim out.
A loom is only a set of wires. I have the bypass relay all wired in , no issues.
It has an input for stop lights to go in, and one for side lights.

Doesn't sound hard does it? Find a wire that goes to 12V when you press the brake and another that goes to 12V when you put sides or heads on?

There is not even any load on the two wires I need, as the bypass relay buffers the signal.

Still trying to find those two wires though, or work out what to do with a combined PWM driven single bulb.
Jon

Fusion Ed

If you wanted to DIY it, you would need to measure PWM. Presumably PWM of approx 30% will be side lights and 100% brake. Then you would need to convert that PWM into two separate outputs for driving the towbar elecs. I'd be surprised if there is not already something on the market that does this. Its not that hard.

Jon Olds

With you all the way. There is an electronics bod that has done just that, and posted his circuits. I am hoping some little Chinese man has done the design and they are currently on the uk market as an xyz123. There must be a market. His diagrams show 15% and 100hz switching. Somebody, somewhere will know the little black box I need. Its only likely to have about 5 wires and cost £20 ish
Jon

johnny gtir

John dose it not work on that box you had ? Its a case of leaving black n think its brown out and only connecting the red to the single wire for tail and brake bulb that box sorts the rest ?
Just thinking before i txt u if its not that i know a lad at birtley area who deals with vw"s met him through a friend supposidly he has done stuff with wiring and ecu's that even some of the big and tuning companies aint achived yet

Jon Olds

Yeah, tried that. No stop or side. So I bought another box, in case I had goosed the first. The same, no lights. The common link could be the single wire that I have scotchlocked on. I have just sat in the bath and thought that. Spooky.
If it is that one connection, I am going to have to give myself a damn good talking to for not coming up with this sooner...
Jon
If your mate has any extra advise, it would be appreciated

johnny gtir

Yeah, tried that. No stop or side. So I bought another box, in case I had goosed the first. The same, no lights. The common link could be the single wire that I have scotchlocked on. I have just sat in the bath and thought that. Spooky.
If it is that one connection, I am going to have to give myself a damn good talking to for not coming up with this sooner...
Jon
If your mate has any extra advise, it would be appreciated
will make a call tomorrow as i say hes into engine changes modding vw and supposidly a wizard with stuff and can do stuff with vag com certain unlocks etc on ecu that not many can.