are my stem seals worn?

my R smokes if i leave it idelling for a couple of minutes when warm, if i give it a quick rev i get a puff of blue smoke and then it clears no matta how much more i rev it, also it puffs out a little smoke on start up.

theres no smoke on boost or over run or when driving the car hard or normal

now ive checked compression and its 160psi across all cylinders

the turbo has not long been rebuilt and has NO play in shaft

youngsyp

If your valve stems were worn, it would smoke all the time as. When the engine is running, the intake pressure would suck the oil past the seals so, when you rev harder, the smoke would get worse........ in theory.
And if the valve seals were worn, wouldn't the compression test show it ?!

Do you still have the stock oil breather system on the car ?

It sounds like the oil is pooling and then clearing when you rev it that initial time ?!

Take the intercooler off and see if there is any oil mist in there. If there is, clean the entire intake track out with petrol,until it runs clear.

Paul

you could be on the something there, yes i am running the standard breather still, what does pooling mean then?

i blocked the PCV valve off to the inlet and breather that used to go to air intake is now to atmosphere beacuse as u say there is misting in the intake pipes, and thought that aint helping

what would you recommend try

youngsyp

EssexAaron said:
you could be on the something there, yes i am running the standard breather still, what does pooling mean then?

i blocked the PCV valve off to the inlet and breather that used to go to air intake is now to atmosphere beacuse as u say there is misting in the intake pipes, and thought that aint helping

what would you recommend try
Pooling - basically, the oil is building up somewhere and when you initially rev the engine, it's getting sucked into the cylinders.

Firstly, I'd bin all the old breather system, remove the PCV and block the hole (sounds like you've already done that ?!) and fit an oil catch tank, that vents to atmosphere through one of those crankcase vent filters. That's the set up I have had for the last 5 years and it works great. You wil need to empty the catch tank every now and again though.
Whilst you're doing this, clean all the inlet track out with petrol, including the intercooler.

That will at least eliminate the breather system and make the inlet side a hell of a lot more efficient.

Paul

i think ill try getting rid of the OE breather system then as my engine is healthy and quiet and turbos fine so ill need to find this prob