ap organic clutch

nitrosgti-r

i have done a search but cant find anything really. Im after a place to buy a decent AP clutch, other than ebay, as iv had me car tuned today but iv wasted my time and money really as the clutch wasnt up to the job - 318 bhp @1.1 bar, with a 3071 turbo and 700cc inj etc etc

anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

gunmetalgtir

I've seen the ones on ebay as well and was wondering why they are so cheap, are they reconditioned ones??

*edit*

Just realised the one's I've seen on ebay are Exedy and not AP.

Last edited:

nitrosgti-r

what is an ACT clutch kev? Id rather go for the AP as i have been recomended these and they are rated as far as i can see? This is the 3rd shit clutch iv fitted now so i need to be doing things right now!!

Anyone know where to get one from?

davey red.r

os giken twin plate all the way, im assuming you will be mapping it to the mid 1 bar?
with 3071 and 700s fitted? the giken will be more than enough for your spec,
it aint that bad to live with either, lighter on the pedal than i imagined,
forget cheap clutches,
3071,700s running at 1.1bar:?

davey

Last edited:

Adam L

davey red.r said:
os giken twin plate all the way, im assuming you will be mapping it to the mid 1 bar?
with 3071 and 700s fitted? the giken will be more than enough for your spec,
it aint that bad to live with either, lighter on the pedal than i imagined,
forget cheap clutches,
3071,700s running at 1.1bar:?

davey
I'd opt for the OS twin plate clutch too, replacable friction plates, that's why I bought mine.

Dave, he's probably running 1.1 bar because the clutch won't take anymore:lol:. The 3071 will need more than that to pick up properly

crag

What about the RPS max street clutch good for around 460lbft torque or somewhere around there and for £320 you cant go wrong as it will take as much as the os giken clutch will but that costs around the £1000 mark if your lucky.

Adam L

I'm sure the OS will take more than the RPS;-)

Unfortunatley I can't find a max torque firgure for the OS clutch... BHP seems to be their main concern for some reason.

MarkTurbo

Just thinking, what sort of power are you aiming for mate?

I reckon an AP organic would be ok at around 350bhp (or possibly a bit more) but if your aiming for something like 380-400bhp it might be pushing it a bit :lol: AP only officially rate their organic clutch at 285ft/lbs but i know for a fact they're just been conservative with that figure to cover themselves as mine was producing that torque at 0.9 bar yet my clutch still holds 1.5/1.6 bar no problem ;-)

Have a read of this, if you are aiming for 400bhp it might be worth thinking about the helix clutch that ashills had fitted ;-)

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48846&highlight=helix

nitrosgti-r

cheers for that link mark but i didnt really get a deffo answer from that to be honest and interpro didnt rate the helix at all?? Im thinking of going for the group buy on this one http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500 but im not sure if i have to get the flywheel holes moved etc which could put me off........

Im going for 400 bhp ideally mate :)

Oh, all the track time at the actual JAPFEST has now gone so iv had to book the 'day before' session !

MarkTurbo

Whats the group buy clutch? Couldnt get that link to work :?

If it was my car i dont think i'd want to take the risk of whether the AP would take 400bhp, i cant remember ever hearing of anybody using one with that sort of power anyway. Dont know why interpro dont rate helix clutches :? Ive never heard a bad word about them to be honest, ive fitted a couple for people in the past too. The one i was on about isnt the standard helix but the newer heavy duty one, its rated at 370ft/lbs so i'd have thought it would be ideal for a 400bhp car!

Dosent surprise me about japfest being booked up already :lol:

nitrosgti-r

The group buy is for an act clutch and the Extreme Organic is rated at 449 lb/ft so they sound good and for 280 odd quid the price seems ok too?

There is a helix on ebay at the mo for 315 buy it now but im still unsure?

yeah im gutted all the track time has gone, have you booked time? Whens the next thing going on at smeatharpe too mate cos i thought we could get creedy to set up a south west meet up there or somat for us?

davey red.r

hows the car running with that q45 you got off me?i remember you saying it was running lumpy, did you get it sorted?
you will be maxing it out at 400 i would think,

davey

nitrosgti-r

yeah its running sweet mate, had it tuned profesionally. I do have alot of other mods to help take it to 400 but as long as i get near ill be happy

gunmetalgtir

crag said:
What about the RPS max street clutch good for around 460lbft torque or somewhere around there and for £320 you cant go wrong as it will take as much as the os giken clutch will but that costs around the £1000 mark if your lucky.
:lol: This is the funniest post I've seen in ages!! :lol:

IMO people should be banned for recommending this clutch!!!!

It's just a standard clutch disc with the heaviest pressure plate possible, it is by far, one of the worst designed clutches you can get and I dare anyone to try and do some "hard" driving with it as it will not last.

I have proof of this! ;)

You can't possibly compare this clutch to an OS Giken. :der: