Anyone ever had a standard oil cooler fail?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm just curious as I've been seaching on the net for oil in water (assuming I have a head gasket problem) and a porsche problem popped up where the standard oil cooler fails and the result is oil in the water. :wink: Just wondering if ours could be the same :?:

N

Norfy

didnt know we had a standard oil cooler :eek:

i know this was a common problem on the Y17DT Astra G

N

Ninj-r

Norfy said:
didnt know we had a standard oil cooler :eek:

i know this was a common problem on the Y17DT Astra G
The GTi-R has a watercooled oil cooler as standard - As far as I am aware it is part of the water cooling system and so would not have a part that would fail (apart from as a side effect of part of the water cooling system failing)

But someone who actually knows what they are talking about will probably add to this. :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Don't know if it can happen, but what was going through my mind was the cooler failing internally somehow and then oil getting into the water system, but not vice versa as the oil is running at a higher presure than the water system does.

Mr GTiR

Carl, i have a spare one knocking about if you want to have a look at it to see how they work. Might give us a better understanding on how they work.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mr GTiR said:
Carl, i have a spare one knocking about if you want to have a look at it to see how they work. Might give us a better understanding on how they work.
Is it a good one do you know? I'm tempted to buy it if it's spare, fit it and see if it cures my oil in water problem and if it does, cut my old one open to see what's going on :wink:

O

Odin

Mr GTiR said:
It was taken off a good engine as the said engine is now in my car. It's up to you fella.

Your just need to bale out the sand carl :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Take you bucket and spade mate :lol: :wink: .

rob