Another problem

geoff pine

Saturday morning drove the car out of the garage to go to Oulton park and it made a sound which i thought sounded like alternator barrings on the way out . It starts about 10 seconds after start up last about 30 second then goes away if i raise the revs it also seams to go away it does not make this noise if the engine is still warm only after its been standing and has gone cold . I have take the belt of the alternator and it still makes the same noise so not the alternator also the water pumps new done 600miles .

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Good lord, you're not going to have to take the engine out again are you? We won't see your car on the road for another 3 years!

eastwood

Hard to comment on a noise without hearing it but if you have ruled out the water pump and the alternator I would also look at the power steering pump.
I also had a similar issue with one of the belts on another car had a alternator bearing type noise turned out it was actually the ribbed belt.
Failing that unrelated but a similar setup the k11 Micra's used have an issue with the timming chains and tensioners which you would have sworn were the alternator bearings but ended up being a stretched timming chain Nissan replaced loads under warranty. However the noise didnt go away as you describe it was there all the time but you could have a lazy tensioner??

darkyGTI-R

Saturday morning drove the car out of the garage to go to Oulton park and it made a sound which i thought sounded like alternator barrings on the way out . It starts about 10 seconds after start up last about 30 second then goes away if i raise the revs it also seams to go away it does not make this noise if the engine is still warm only after its been standing and has gone cold . I have take the belt of the alternator and it still makes the same noise so not the alternator also the water pumps new done 600miles .

That's why we missed you then geoff we were wondering it was a great day though!

Tim

I've got the same problem, it appeared after I had re-fitted the repaired front face and crank oil seal.

I "think" it's the crank pulley, well that's what i plan on replacing next. Be interesting to see if anyone else has had the same problem...

geoff pine

I've got the same problem, it appeared after I had re-fitted the repaired front face and crank oil seal.

I "think" it's the crank pulley, well that's what i plan on replacing next. Be interesting to see if anyone else has had the same problem...
Some one did suggest it was the after market Ali crank pulley but it has been replaced with a second hand one till my new one arrives from the good old USA

geoff pine

That's why we missed you then geoff we were wondering it was a great day though!
It made the same sound in the pub car park at the rolling road day but its now much louder( my first thought was alternator barrings as i have had that problem before ) .On the plus side i have reground my maf so hopefully have solved my over fueling .

geoff pine

Hard to comment on a noise without hearing it but if you have ruled out the water pump and the alternator I would also look at the power steering pump.
I also had a similar issue with one of the belts on another car had a alternator bearing type noise turned out it was actually the ribbed belt.
Failing that unrelated but a similar setup the k11 Micra's used have an issue with the timming chains and tensioners which you would have sworn were the alternator bearings but ended up being a stretched timming chain Nissan replaced loads under warranty. However the noise didnt go away as you describe it was there all the time but you could have a lazy tension??
I will refit the alternator belt and play with the tension on the steering pump belt .the chain is new the tension-er is new guides are new oil pump is new (all around 600miles )

geoff pine

Good lord, you're not going to have to take the engine out again are you? We won't see your car on the road for another 3 years!
NO i may just drive it till it breaks i just did not fance having no electrics stuck on a road near oulton park on a very busy day. Its only coming out when its engine changing time for a few days at the most im now frozen shoulder free :lol: :thumbsup:

stevie leese

if its any help mate,ive had 2 crank pulleys fail on me and both times they have squeeked like mad but not made a bearing noise,steve