Another "brakes" thread

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ok, my wife has just been on the phone to ask WTF is up with the brakes on the Pulsar.
She says that the pedal is hard, and it's not stopping... and that she almost had an accident. - Now the brakes on the Pulsar have never been superb, but it sounds to me like they are hardly working at all.

There's nothing I can do to help her at the moment, but obviously I want to take a look at this pretty quickly. - I'm hoping that at the moment it's to do with the brakes being cold, combined with something else? I'm also hoping that they'll start behaving when the car is warm because I don't need a dead wife or worse a dead Pulsar.

I'm thinking that it sounds like a vacuum assit problem. Am I warm?

Now, does that mean my master cylinder has shat its self, or could it be something to do with there being no vacuum when the car is really cold (leaky cold start device perhaps)? Leaky hose to the master cylinder?

What can I try to isolate/identify the problem? - She's only taken this car because I accidentally took the keys for the other one to work with me. :doh:

Trondelond

I'd guess something wrong with the booster. Out of the goodness of my heart, I've uploaded the following nugget :

Pulsey

ask her to pump the pedal with the engine off then start it while holding down on the pedal to see if it drops

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
As I suspected, the brakes got better as the drive went on. - By the time she got to Chester they were back to "normal"... but that was about an hour of driving.

I'll take a look tonight... if she makes it home again.