Air filters

M

markwashington

I was running 400bhp happily on this filter.

Sorry for the massive pic. I'm not sure of the make, but it was perfect for 400bhp and looks alot like a K&N, so that's what I'd go for, although I was always tempted by a Blitz and they do three on their website. http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/SearchByModel-29.aspx

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
a 1hp difference between the best and the worst in RR terms is negligible and lost in the margin of error at 400hp.

The other consideration is location, Stu's location at the front of the engine bay so you can get cold air in. This is better than the original position hidden behind the battery etc (Sorry George).
I'd have to agree with that; it's not a statistically significant difference, and if you repeat the experiment you'd probably get different results again.

I'm aware that I haven't got my filter positioned in the ideal spot; the only concession I've made is to remove the arch lining (so air comes in from the wheel arch now), and to twist the battery around as much as I can (to create more space around the filter, and direct whatever cold air I've got towards it). - I just don't see the need to relocate my battery and lose more of the little boot space that've got. :roll:

I'm going to have to try one of these Flugelhorns though. That seems like the way forward...

stumo

To give you a size reference, the silver hose in the middle is 100mm diameter and the MAF is a Z32.

skiddusmarkus

I have a standard Z32 blitz sus on atm, and its a lot smaller than the one me and my dad made up that I had on befoer.I am going to get a Z32 flange made and welded onto the old one so I can fit that instead.Pic also shows hwo much space you can free up shifting the battery and hwo effective a cruddy homemade heatshield can be.My filter doen't get hot, even after mapping it was very cool.If you don't fit a shield the rad fans blow hot air right into the filter once they kick in.

johnny gtir

i have heard that it is best to have two 45 degree bends on air intake not 100% sure why now someone might can add a reason to this

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
i have heard that it is best to have two 45 degree bends on air intake not 100% sure why now someone might can add a reason to this
It's because the standard hot-wire MAF requires a turbulent air flow to get air over the wire.
I think the Z32 doesn't suffer with this problem as it has a mesh screen on it which creates the turbulance. - I've read that you can fake that by putting an old pair of tights over the MAF, and it should then run happily no matter what the bends are like.

skiddusmarkus

I presumed the mesh was to protect the hotwire.Have seen tests on a Seat forum where they removed the mesh from their maf and it improved airflow by about 10%(they can measure a load of stuff we can't using vagcom).

johnny gtir

i was talkin partly s++t last night maybe again now but it is two 90s after the afm. So air filter into afm then bend then down piece of pipe then bend little straight bit to turbo only if your turbo dose not have a anti surge inlet something along the lines of some back pressure from the turbo can pop your afm ?

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Why would you have back pressure from the turbo; that's the low pressure side? - Is this if you're running without a BOV?

Spikey

I have moved my Maf into the Intercooler pipe. Awesome throttle response. It just feels more Instant.