Air Bagged Trailer build up!

RO_SUNNY

Hello you guys,

Seeing over the internet this clip.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikzm_4Adz3U
...I thought to start a project and make a similar flatbed car trailer / regular trailer.

I have started with the design of such.

But.......I will be more than interested how many will be interested in a trailer like this.

Therefore please share your opinions and also spread the word in the UK.

Thanks for the support.

bracpan

Thats a fantastic bit of kit but I dread to think of the costs,, it would be ok to build one for yourself but the law changed here the other year and all new trailers have to be built and tested and certified,,have a look on the Brian James web site.

Its cheaper to get long ramps made....

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
People wil also be losing there intitlement to drive anything over 3.5ton as of September too, so traders beware you will get nicked.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
It does apply to all, trouble is with the law is you are supposed to keep yourself updated and not for the law to update you!

bracpan

Thats profestional drivers who drive vehicles over 3.5 tons not people who tow race cars to meetings....

RO_SUNNY

Ok .....here's a 3d Version of the chasis.

The whole trailer will have somewhere around 500 Kgs and the load capacity will be 2 tons...therefore the entire trailer at maximum load capacity will have 2.5 tons.

I don't know how it is in the UK but in Romania there are driver license categories.
For example < 3.5 tons you can drive with an B category and >3.5 tons you will be needing a professional driver's license which is called C type.

Anyway ...the trailers will have full certification according to EU standards and who will buy it will be able to registrate it like any other trailer!

bracpan

I must admit its a cracking idea for a trailer, my next car will only have about 75mm ground clearance so this would be fantastic.

Do you know how they have worked out the swinging arms on the suspension ? That looks the clever bit, also is there a safe guard if the sustem loses is pressure as it would just drop to the floor. And the last issue as usual would be the costs, it can be the best idea in the world but if its too expensive people want buy it....I always way up the costs against making the car go quicker !!

Please keep us informed.

Phil

RO_SUNNY

The entire system will have swing arms and also shock absorbers!

The entire system will have a fail / safe for when the air bags will fail.

I don't want to copy their design....their clip was just so you'll get the idea!

The price will be announced shortly.....after I will get all my design finished........

bracpan

The only thing I can see that might need changing is to add some strength into the side rails to stop the bed bending under a heavy load.
Most other trailers have "U" section runners that do the job. This design does not at the moment. They would not hinder loading etc just add to the stiffness of the trailer.
I can do a drawing if I have not explained it clear enough?