AFM...which, why, how?

A

Anonymous

Im after a new afm, as some dumb f@#cker glued the plugs together and now the wires have come out, and i cant get the plug out to replace it.

So besides standard, which other afm can you use?

How do you go about fitting them, is it as simple as getting a new plug?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

A

Anonymous

http://www.japanesemotorsport.com.au/
goto parts in stock page 2 they have them in stock (new). You can get them cheaper second hand.
More versatility with a Z32 AFM out of a (300ZX I think :?: ), if you upgrade your ecu etc. Not too sure about fitting, should be able to splice a new adapter on :?: :!:
Hope that helps :)

A

Anonymous

The 300ZX air flow meter is different to ours so it's unlikely the air flow readings are the same. Has anyone actually tested the fuelling on their R's after installing the Zed AFM? I know people use it with success, but is it messing up the ECU fuel calculations?

zia

z32 will weaken the mixture right across the rev range due to big entry and different calibration required the standard ecu will not cope.

zia

A

Anonymous

mmm

I do have the apexi SAFCII, so this should be able to deal with the change hopefully.
Thanks for the info, so its either stick with standard or get the Z32 :wink:

A

Anonymous

mmm

Ive found 2 place which are selling the Z32 both want $200AU is this a good price for second hand afm?

How can i be sure it is a Z32 are there any special marking or anything?

will i be able to drive just by plugging it in, or will i have to tune the apexi AFC before i can drive?

J

JamesB

$200 is good, about $475 for a new one - but with second hand, well, you know...

There is a difference between the z32 maf's, youve got to get one from the twin turbo model - i think it has an orange sticker??

Also the z32 has a wider band or resistance (or sumthn) so yeah, you'll have to tune before driving it. There's guides on here about wiring it up - get a factory plug for a neat connection though.

A

Anonymous

mmmmmm :D where you find them :?: might just get one myself.. lol

there also bigger then standard (inlet is 80mm :?: ), thats why people want them, more air.

A

Anonymous

Twenty6 said:
mmmmmm :D where you find them :?: might just get one myself.. lol
ill go and buy mine, then ill let you know where the other one is located :wink:

I've fitted the Q45 MAFS from a Nissan Cima - 90mm. Coupled with the 550s and an S-AFC II, she's running sweet as a nut atm. I just set the 'SENS' setting to 'In = 1' & 'Out = 5'.

Need to get her up to a RR asap, but for pottering about at 1 bar she's not detting or leaning out. Prolly runnning as rich as hell atm though... :wink:

E

Edd

Glad to hear you got the q45 up and running alright 8)

should have mine on in a few months coupled to 1000cc injectors so think it might run a bit rich :shock: :lol:

O

one Gti-R

Z32 is a good UPGRADE

if your not increasing the boost changing the injectors and running a better ECU then don't bother using a Z32.

Depending on what you want, if your keeping the car relativly stcok the replace it with the stcok item.

also RB20 afm have been used aswell.