advive on tuning

nissans rule

I have a completly standard R for arond two yrs now and cant fault it.i know the brakes and clutch are supposed to b week points but i am not a hard driver just looking for a bit more kick. have around 2000 euro to spend so all advice welcome. thanks in advance.

youngsyp

In all honesty, you should do your brakes first. I had the same opinion as you, thought the brakes were good and upped the power first. I almost came unstuck on a roundabout that I approached very quickly and the brakes weren't man enough to scrup the required speed off. Luckily, I made it round the roundabout ok but, I soon got the brakes done after that !

Conversely, if you up the power, you're more than likely to need to get the clutch uprated too as, it will soon start to slip. Mine started sliiping after I got a full custom exhaust system, from turbo back (including 3" elbow) installed.

However, a good place to start with modifications is the inlet and exhaust side. Get yourself a decent induction kit, the bigger the better as, they have less air resistance and so, will flow more air through the MAF. A Blitz SUS, K&N (specifically the Forge kit) are good options. Don't touch the the HKS foam filters as, they don't flow particularly well and filter out dirt and crap even less well. The Apexi Power Intake is a good kit but, is on the small side.
On the exhaust side, I'd go for a custom job of 2.5" to 3" (depending on future modding plans), ideally with a higher flowing elbow and the cat removed.

These two things should not only raise your torque and BHP figures but, will improve throttle response and spool up, making the car noticably quicker.

You can do what I call free mods too. Improving the breather system will improve throttle response. Taking off the intake pipes and intercooler with petrol will help the car breath better. As will getting a nice large cold air feed to the air filter.

Just a few ideas for you !

nissans rule

thanks for the advice i might go with the mongose eshaust so cause i heard they were one of the best. a fmic in ireland costs around 1200 euro fitted i would buy it but would they b a noticeble difference power wise.

Keira

you will need to get the clutch done then stick a filter, exhaust, fuel pump and a bleed valve (set at the obligatory 1bar) and be a happy little chappy like the majority of todays owners

nissans rule

irish

ok so any one in ireland who has the above mentined parts for sale or maybe advice on what to get and where to get them.thanks lads

stumo

a fmic on it's own won't give you any more power.

you're best spending on a clutch, brakes, exhaust in no particular order.

youngsyp

stumo said:
a fmic on it's own won't give you any more power.
Yes it will. It will also give you a fatter torque curve, as it will be more efficient that the standard TMIC. It won't be big gains but, they will be there. Plus, it won't heat up when you're in traffic like the TMIC so, you'll have that extra shove all the time.
You will of course, have more lag too !

Oh, and Mongoose exhausts aren't the best, they are the cheapest and one of the few exhausts available for the GTiR. Plus, they retain the standard elbow which, is far from idea. Why bother putting a free flowing exhaust on the car and leave the most restrictive part at the very front of the system ?!

Just my 2 peneth worth !

O

Odin

I agree I noticed a fair bit of difference after fitting a front mount.

Rob

marcymarc

Odin said:
I agree I noticed a fair bit of difference after fitting a front mount.

Rob

Problem is , they make our cars look like a bumper meshed corsa (imo)

They really do look tacky, think im gonna try and get hold of a second hand arc top mount :thumbsup:

youngsyp

marcymarc said:
Problem is , they make our cars look like a bumper meshed corsa (imo)
I agree with this but, there are ways round it. Forget the mesh and be selective with what you cut from the bumper skin and it can look very good...... even like it should have been there all along.

There was a piccy of an R with a very tastefully chopped bumper on hear a while ago and that looked very nice. If I come across it, I'll post it up.

I was thinking about the ARC route but, for the money they go for, and the fact that I can't believe they're that much more efficient that the stock ones, especially in traffic, I'd much rather go for a front mount jobby !

Horses for courses though !

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If you ignore the overly dramatic photo :oops::oops: (Its the only photo I've posted on here from the front) a pert front mount doesn't have to make the car look like a corsa.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=307&d=1158053929

Also.. not getting rid of the bumper bar saved my intercooler when I hit the "ware rabbit" a few months ago.

Dan(dud) recently fitted a large intercooler but still retained much of the bumper even though the bump bar had to go. It also looks a neat job too.

Edit: IIRC ,my front mount is roughly 600x300x80

Last edited: