adjusting sheepdog bov

A

Anonymous

hey, just found out that my standard bov was stuck wide open all the time, so i just bought a sheepdog bov (plumbback and atmoshper vent)one. but it seems that i have to take it to 7500rpm before i get any noise out of it at all, and even then it just sorta sounds like a little flutter ,, no wooooosh at all. so im guesing that it needs to be adjusted.

I noticed it has a nut on top of it, what is this for, does loosening this determin how much is recurculated and how much goes to atmospher.???is this correct...
(should i have been able to push the valve inside it up with my fingers or not as i couldnt when i tried)
Any suggestions....... just dont want to be leaking boost again, especialy to atmospher....
thanks Luke.....
got it for $160 aus i presume this is about fair....

A

Ash

I'm not sure if you can have the BOV vent to atmosphere AND recirculate...I was under the impression that it was either one or the other.
(I could be wrong though)

The nut on top of it should allow you to tighten and loosen the spring inside the valve. This will change the maximum pressure it will hold before venting. If you loosen the spring right off, then the valve will open once you have started to build a small amount of boost pressure, which is not what you want.

I would treat it like you coilovers....trial and error.
Loosen the nut on the BOV a bit, go for a drive, watch the boost on your aftermarket boost gauge, if it still reaches peak boost and doesn't sound as if it is opening fully when you stop accelerating, loosen then nut some more.
If you find that it doesn't get to peak boost, then tighten it up some more.

there could be other ways of doing the adjustment, but this is how me and a friend adjusted my BOV.

J

jasegould

The nut is only for locking. Undo the nut and use an allen key in the end to adjust tghe bov, then lock it by tightening the nut.

A

Anonymous

thanks for that will pull it off and have a good look, cause its freakin hard to get at..
just noticed that the pipe at the base of the bov seems to have slipped off a bit,,, owell have 500klm to cover tomorrow so lets hope it doesnt come off as im driving.....
(unfortunatly i dont have an aftermarket gauge and am running 14psi so i have no way of nowing if its reaching full boost but, might just wind the boost back a bit till i can take a reading on the standard gauge,, then get it on the rollers to set back to 1 bar....)
HAVE BEEN READING EVERYWHERE THAT THE SHEEPDOG IS LOUD, BUT IM GUESING EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT THE FULL ATMOSPHERIC ONE...
THANKS LUKE..

J

J-GTi-R

It si the full atmospheric one I talk about whwn I say it's loud (and it is!!).

Ash, Sheepdog and I think Turbosmart (it's either that or the TurboXS one) do DVs that both vent to atmosphere and plumb back. On the Sheepdog I believe the ratio is constant, but the Turbosmart you can change how much pressure you want to vent and how much you want to plumb back.

Nad

Which one have u guys got? I thought that there was one standard one and u just blocked the recirc bit off if u want full VTA BOV, or plumbed it in if u wanted both?

Nad

P.S. Gotta get a bung for mine so we can test it.

J

jasegould

Mines a full VTA BOV, no blocking off needed.....Im not 100% sure it is a sheepdog but it is very loud and made by "prof" who i believe make sheepdog

J

J-GTi-R

Yep, prof make the sheepdog, the dual system one can have the plumb-back part blocked off with a rubber cap but the best one is the straight atmos one.

A

Ash

J-GTi-R said:
Ash, Sheepdog and I think Turbosmart (it's either that or the TurboXS one) do DVs that both vent to atmosphere and plumb back. On the Sheepdog I believe the ratio is constant, but the Turbosmart you can change how much pressure you want to vent and how much you want to plumb back.
right, thats very interesting. I never knew that!
learn something new every day :)

sheep dog must be a subsidiary company of Prof or something....as I had Prof sheepdog printed on the springs that I pulled out of my car :D ...I had never heard of them before that.

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah there are Prof Sheepdog DVs, exhausts, springs, air filters etc...

Has to be the stupidest name for a tuning company ever, maybe why they don't exist anymore (shame, their stuff was all very good).

Keira

I'm extremely concerned that none of you have any shame in the fact that you like to take a dump with your sheep dog....

Whats wrong with going to the toilet on your own like everyone else :wink:

J

jasegould

Sheep dogs have long hair, u can wipe your arse on it....duh!!!!! :roll:

G

GTI-R Kid

Ash - just a little more info for you from http://www.turbosmart.com.au/

This is the valve that both vents to atmosphere and also recirculates.

DUAL PORT

Due to the ever-increasing demand, we now have a BOV that will vent to atmosphere and back into the air intake. Dual ports with sequential timing allow quieter operation during normal driving loads with the benefit of a Supersonic during race conditions.

Supplied with a universal blanking flange to reconfigure to Plumb back or atmospheric dump only
Adjustment via the unique Quick Wrist action
(no spanners required)
Supplied with a 38mm weld-on adapter to suit stainless or steel piping
Supported by our Multi-Fit adapters
Hope that helps. 8)