Adjustable camber bolts .. front and rear

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You can't attach it to an alloy; they're not (ferro)magnetic. It needs to be stuck to something like a brake disc, but you're quite right in saying that as soon as the wheel is off the floor the geometry is all out-of-whack.

I guess that's why the wheel alignment places have kit that hooks onto the wheel.

GTI_R

thinking maybe see if it will go between the rim onto the disc . but as i have multi spokes i doubt it ..

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I bought one of these some years ago for around £35 IIRC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60cm-Digi...UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item35b5b942ad

It's been handy as the 60cm is large enough for any alloy wheel and the laser allows me to do a type of 4 wheel alignment with the toe plates.

I had been using Stu's 6" inclinometer elastic banded to an adapter plate with a couple of screws through to touch the rim for a few years before that. I've seen an inclinometer for £23 that could be extended to fit the wheel and would work the same.

Both have been perfect and accurate enough to 0.1deg. More than you practically need.

So simple to use. Stick it on read the reading. Adjust.

If you need to adjust the camber off the ground. Note down how much you need to adjust by. Raise the car, re-measure the camber and take the adjustment off your new measurement. Drop car, re-measure and be amazed at how close the actual is to the target.

Word of caution, your front toe and camber are directly linked. Ideally learn how to do them both. You can make some toe plates for about £10.

Good luck,
Jim

Hybrids

I use the Sealey version of the Gunsons one. I use a 16" long piece of 1/2" steel box section with a bolt at each end to stand off against the rim (measured to make sure the stand off matches. As the gauge needs calibrated to ensure level beforehand, I cut up a cheap spirit level to calibrate it each time. It looks a bit Heath Robinson but I have checked my settings in the paddock against fellow competitors fancy ass kit and it matches. If the description is vauge I can post a pic in the next couple of days.