adjust ingnition timing

S

str_motorsport

hi, looking at the car from front, to retard timing, how should i turn the CAS?
thanks

J

jasegould

I take it by cas you mean the distributor :?:

You rotate it the same way as engine rotation to retard it, opposite way to advance it, same as on most cars

S

str_motorsport

yes mate!!!
thanks a lot!!!you're very clear!!
thanks

sypher

the engine rotates clock wise, so to advance the ignition timing you turn the the distributor anti-clock wise, so to retard you turn it clockwise. what is said above is if you look at the engine from the o s f wheel, so then if you are adjusting from the front of car looking no 4 cyl' the reverse applies .. the auto data info i have says 20'+or-2'@850rpm... hope this helps. could you tell me where the wastegate pipe goes to on the t piece and from the solenoid to where. ( if u have pics could you please post them as i am in proccess of re building one for me!!!! the guy i got it from can't/won't tell me...PLEASE HELP.

sypher

The ignition timing should be 20 deg' plus or minus 2 deg' before top dead centre at 850rpm ( to check or adjust this you will need a timing light preferably with an rpm read out). All advancement after that is ecu controlled, you set it initially then the ecu does the rest. hope this could help.

A

Anonymous

Everyone's forgetting one important thing to do when setting the engine timing, the TPS (Throttle position sensor) must be disconnected when doing this, otherwise the ECU will compensate and the timing adjustment will be all out of whack

Gino

A

Anonymous

The TPS is also a biatch to get to with a TMIC.

There are only 2 connectors in the general vacinity so if you get the wrong one your engine won't start. Get the right one and throttle response will be shocking (thats the one you want).

The connectors are between the recirculation vavlue and the distributor.

Cheers,
Samson

turblio

I wrote a complete DIY on ignition timing it may come up if you do a search just remember only set it to 20 degrees if you are running
it on a higher spec fuel than optimax (just to be safe :wink: )
Frank