ABS sensor fooked??????

BenD

BRAKES NOT WORKING PROPERLEY :x

Have i fucked up the ABS sensor by knocking it out of the hub???

Ive had bigger brakes fitted, but they were bled properley, and ive only had this problem this morning after fitting a near wheel bearing??

I had to knock the sensor out so i could put the hub on the press, so how would this have buggered up my brakes/ABS??

ABS light is on, and i have to pump the brakes 3 times to get it to stop!! :shock:
ANY IDEAS????

Cheers

Ben

J

jasegould

Sounds like you have damaged the sensor but Ive never heard of having to pump the brakes 3 times for an ABS fault. If the light is permanetly on it means that the ABS ECU has picked up a fault and will have "switched off" the ABS which means your brakes will still work fine but instead of the abs working they'll just lock up under hard braking.

Did you disconnect the brake hose from the caliper, if so could be air in there somewhere? Did you push the pistons in the caliper back atall as sometimes this can damage the master cylinder when the fluid is forced back past the seals??

BenD

jasegould2002 said:
Did you disconnect the brake hose from the caliper, if so could be air in there somewhere? Did you push the pistons in the caliper back atall as sometimes this can damage the master cylinder when the fluid is forced back past the seals??
Lines were not disconnected from the caliper, and i rebled the brakes just as another guarantee that that wasnt the problem.

Pistons were not pushed back into the caliper!

Cheers for clearing that up mate!!

Ive just taken the hub apart again, and i have found the outer bearing seal totally mangled, where me (or more likely my mate :wink: ) didnt seat the seal correctly and the whole hub might/probably of been sat on the pi$$!!

I gave the ABS sensor a gentle tap with the hammer, and the warning light went out, but when i went down the road to test, it came back on
:x and still have to pump the pedal to make the car stop

Just wondering if the hub not sitting correctly would have an effect on the ABS AND/OR the reason why the brakes are not working correctly???

Any help is much appreciated :D

Cheers

Ben

A

Anonymous

could be the bearing is not sitting flat and the hub is not sitting true, could cause the disc to push the caliper pistons back in and knock the sensor out of true

BenD

Yea, that could be a reason mate!!

I put the bearing in with a fly press at work, and thats deffo sitting flush, but the hub was not, due to the seal being crushed and all sat on the piss :shock:

Cheers

Ben

GTIR-LOZ

you havnt twisted the brake lines have you?? may cause resistance to stopping, sounds like the sensor has a bit of a loose contact inside , maybe where it was tapped out :wink: , guess you need a new sensor

BenD

Cheers Loz!

I probably did damage that, as i was really fooked off with it that i took my aggression out on that poor sensor :oops:

Will i need the whole length of the sensor, i take it it goes back to the ABS ECU??

The brake lines are deffo not twisted :wink:

Cheers

Ben

J

jasegould

Yeah, sensors have a connection under the wing/just inside engine bay.

If you havent fitted the hub properly (not saying that u havent!) and there is play in the bearing/hub it can mess up the signal from the sensor causing the lamp to come on, plus it may cause the other problem (especially if the hub/disc is not running true).

BenD

jasegould2002 said:
Yeah, sensors have a connection under the wing/just inside engine bay.

If you havent fitted the hub properly (not saying that u havent!) and there is play in the bearing/hub it can mess up the signal from the sensor causing the lamp to come on, plus it may cause the other problem (especially if the hub/disc is not running true).
Cheers Jase!!

I took the hub off in the end, and i put 2 and 2 together, and thats exactly what i thought was the problem!!!

Thanks to all who has given me a hand with this!!

BIG UP YOSELF 8)

Cheers

Ben