ABS removal

Trip

I seem to have a problems with my brake setup and although i have a seperate post for it, i would like to gather opinions regarding the removal of the ABS.

I have removed my ABS system by bypassing the ABS pump and connecting the master cylinder hoses directly on the proportion valve. I gathered mixed opinions about this mod where some say you should also change the proportion valve with a non abs one and others say you can re-use the existing one.

here are some posts i found regarding this topic

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55725
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57632
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43023

How I see it is if Nissan could have used the same proportion valve for non ABS and for the ABS system why would they install two different valves for ABS and Non ABS cars ? there must be a reason.
But on the other hand, the simplest mod of removing the ABS, is to remove the fuse which disables the ABS pump, and the brakes still work even though the proportion valve is an ABS type.

I know many of you did this mod, but knowing also that ours cars are mostly off the road, has anyone actually got his brakes to work after removing the ABS ?

Thank you.

stumo

I removed the abs pump and fitted a non-abs proportioning valve and have no problems with the brakes.

I would have thought even using the ABS valve that you would still have good brakes but ultimately you will have one end locking a bit sooner than if you had the non-ABS valve fitted.

williams

done the same as stumo, havent drove the car yet though :( check on ebay for the non abs valve, i got mine for £10 from a sunny that was being broken.

GTIR-LOZ

there are two extra take off points for the abs pumpi believe thats the only difference

i have a spare non abs valve if you need it

dencon

I believe the take off points are the same on both valves, but different on the inside. Since fitting the non abs proportioning valve my brakes have been superb, although they were a sod to get all the air out.Everything connected to abs is out of my car right down to cutting out all wires.
I feel sure you need a non abs valve to get your brakes as they should be. cheers den.

dotalot

I pulled the plug out of the pump and the brakes are fine. Just need to find what pins to bridge in the plug to keep the light off.

Trip

Thanks you all.

Done the job this evening. I changed both proportion valve, and master from my other car (which happened to be a non ABS). It took me almost 5hrs to remove inlet manifold, and sway the master and valve. Now tomorrow I bleed the system, fit the inlet and PRAY/TEST.

Before

Side by side

After

williams

Thanks you all.

Done the job this evening. I changed both proportion valve, and master from my other car (which happened to be a non ABS). It took me almost 5hrs to remove inlet manifold, and sway the master and valve. Now tomorrow I bleed the system, fit the inlet and PRAY/TEST.

Before

Side by side

After
i left my inlet on to do valve, changed the brake pipes for new copper ones aswel, wasnt the easiest job in the world with the inlet on.

Trip

i left my inlet on to do valve, changed the brake pipes for new copper ones aswel, wasnt the easiest job in the world with the inlet on.

You must have tiny hands and fingers (and the rest) :-D to do that job with inlet in.

The worse part of the job was to unscrew the pipes from the valve. I can only assume that they were never removed from the day of manufacture.