87mm pistons-overbore

T

Toady

can the standard block and liners be bored out to fit 87mm pistons or do new liners have to be fitted?

A

Anonymous

Toady said:
can the standard block and liners be bored out to fit 87mm pistons or do new liners have to be fitted?
oh i think that the poor lickle engine can stand 87mm pistons without to much trouble :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

T

Toady

have you had it done then? i always thought it could be done untill i took my block round to the machine shop guy last night! he wasnt sure~ :? but im sure he'll find out whether it can or not soon enough!

A

Anonymous

Toady said:
have you had it done then? i always thought it could be done untill i took my block round to the machine shop guy last night! he wasnt sure~ :? but im sure he'll find out whether it can or not soon enough!
considering the amount of time that you've been a member of the forum and the amount of threads that your post count says you've been involved in,i find it very hard to believe that you don't know the std block will take 87mm pistons.

when most peeps go for higher boost pressures,87mm forged pistons are usually the std size of pistons that peeps put in.

and in answer to your question-yes i do have 87mm pistons :D

C

clive760

block

oap-r said:
Toady said:
considering the amount of time that you've been a member of the forum and the amount of threads that your post count says you've been involved in,i find it very hard to believe that you don't know the std block will take 87mm pistons.

when most peeps go for higher boost pressures,87mm forged pistons are usually the std size of pistons that peeps put in.

and in answer to your question-yes i do have 87mm pistons :D
yes its safe 2 do as i hav had it don on couple of my modded gtirs 8) :D :D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
got them on mine, no real need for new liners. I've not read anything since to make me wish I'd fitted them.

P

paulrandy

It is worrying from a machiners point of view due to the design of the std liners stopping 2mm from the top of the block but yes it's perfectly fine to do it.

T

Toady

good good! and yeah mr oap-r, i have been a member for a few yrs, and was under the impression that the std block can be bored out that much, but when the engineer queried it...it got me thinking that maybe the people that HAD done this, HAD had new liners put in too. It doesnt make me thick as poopoo for asking, and it doesnt mean i know everything cos i have a high amount of posts! :roll: :wink:

A

Anonymous

Toady said:
good good! and yeah mr oap-r, i have been a member for a few yrs, and was under the impression that the std block can be bored out that much, but when the engineer queried it...it got me thinking that maybe the people that HAD done this, HAD had new liners put in too. It doesnt make me thick as poopoo for asking, and it doesnt mean i know everything cos i have a high amount of posts! :roll: :wink:
then maybe you should have done a search rather than sound thick :evil:

T

Toady

i did do a search! which wasnt much help...ok! :roll: also at what point did the question make me sound thick may i ask? i wouldnt say someone with a degree in engineering is 'fick' would you? :p

A

Anonymous

Toady said:
i did do a search! which wasnt much help...ok! :roll: also at what point did the question make me sound thick may i ask? i wouldnt say someone with a degree in engineering is 'fick' would you? :p
just because you've a degree does not prove f_o_ok all,peeps can buy degrees on the internet and if you do have a degree in engineering,then maybe you should have known already :wink:

next time you do a search,try looking at more than a couple of the results as it's all there to be found :wink:

T

Toady

listen mate, im not on here to argue pathetically with you, if id have known i could have done a buy it now off ebay, id have saved myself 5 years of being a student! :lol: but it wouldnt have been as much fun! :wink: As i stated b4, i was aware that the standard block could be bored out to 87mm, but when i took it to the machine man he wasnt sure, and since he'd done nothing but engine machining for 15yrs, it made me question it. :?

nehoo, he's done it now, so just to confirm my previous question...YES IT CAN! lol! :lol:

J

jiw

If the guy you are letting machine your block doesnt know i would start to question his knowledge

T

Toady

he couldnt tell cos he couldnt see the thickness of the liners cos of the dirty block!lol! trust me, he's been doing it for 15 years, and knows his stuff, i wouldnt have given it to him if i thought otherwise. :roll:

P

paulrandy

It's impossible to see the thickness of R liners anyway due to the way the block is cast around the liners so not the machinests fault at all.

T

Toady

paulrandy said:
It's impossible to see the thickness of R liners anyway due to the way the block is cast around the liners so not the machinests fault at all.
thankyou! :D