5th gear crunching

C

carterjohn

as the title,crunching at speed but fine when im going slow any ideas ?
cheers.....

andygtir

i wouldnt worry too much mate, mines been like that for over 30,000m!

just change the g/box oil for redline mt90 and double de-clutch into 5th and it should last if you treat it gently.

GTiR_Mic

I have the same prob with mine, is it due to the baulk ring.

....but it is common in a lot of Nissan gearbox's in the high powered cars. It is mainly due to the 5th gear being the overdrive gear and when you go to change the gear it has to step up a full gear not like 1st to 4th. My old tunner has the same problem with his R33 GTR.

Try changing the gearbox oil, I just bought Silkoline stuff from the Oilman, give him a shout :wink:

Mic

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
GTiR_Mic said:
I have the same prob with mine, is it due to the baulk ring.

....but it is common in a lot of Nissan gearbox's in the high powered cars. It is mainly due to the 5th gear being the overdrive gear and when you go to change the gear it has to step up a full gear not like 1st to 4th. My old tunner has the same problem with his R33 GTR.

Mic

Rubbish... Its just fatigue... 2nd to 3rd steps up a shaft... the baulk ring spins up the next shaft... when its worn it can't do this at high rpm and at the speed required...

its a problem seen changing into 3rd and 5th as these are where the baulk rings really need to work...

Drive your car like any other and you won't have this problem... Drive an R like you're supposed to and you will see wear but not up until over 70k miles...

One quick way to wear the 5th gear baulk ring which is how a lot of people manage it yet won't admit, is by changing from 2nd missing 3rd and trying into 5th... That'll wear your baulk right there and then...

Rishi

A

Adamski

When I'm booting it in second and then try to change up to 3rd it takes a few seconds before it will go in and it sometimes even decides it will go into 5th insted :shock: :lol: . Its fine when driving normally though, would this be the same problem :roll: :) .

Cheers Adam