400bhp Micra Turbo Crashed..

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I believe this is Dave's SR20DET Micra Turbo..

Its been crashed badly at Knockhill since TOTB. The owner has said that damage is too bad to fix up and hes not going to rebuild it.

It just on 169mph at TOTB on Sunday.

What happed, from the drivers point:

Quote....
The car hit the tyre wall still doing silly speeds at the n/s/f corner, and it kind of bounced along the tyre wall in a spin until it came round again to hit the front end, when it dug in and lifted the rear end clean off the ground.

DAMAGE:
Both the intercooler and the radiator have been punctured.
The exhaust manifold is cracked.
The entire exhuast system is bent backwards.
The mass air flow meter has been cracked.
The o/s/f tyre has a large cut into the sidewall.
The front crossmember is completely destroyed and both front chassis legs are bent.
Both front wings are destroyed.
The bonnet is, well, twisted...LOL!
The front bumper is still at Knockhill somewhere, presumed well ######ed.
The Kenlowe fan that was attached to the front of the intercooler is also missing, presumed well ######ed as well.
I can't open the passenger side door.
Both rear panels are caved in.
The rear bumper is broken.
The boot is also caved in and cannot be opened without force.

I was taken away in an ambulance after I got home last night. I had felt sore as I had gotten out of the car, but upon returning home, I was barely able to get out of the car and my neck and head were killing me.

I also had pins and needles in my left arm and right leg, which is still there this morning.

Nothing broken, just bad whiplash and concussion. A number of cuts and bruises and sore all over really.

Part from that, the only other thing is a broken heart. I've dedicated 2 years of my life to the car, and it's been taken away from me in a second.

Pics of damage,taken from another forum.I hope the owner does rebuild it and race it again.

I am truely gutted for you... :(

Rishi

Last edited:

PaulB

Im gutted for him, I met Dave in the pit lane last time we were at knockhill. I cant even imagine how hes feeling after spending so much time and money on the car. But we all know we take a chance on trackdays, and unfortunatly for him the worst has happened.

Hope he gets better soon, and gets the car sorted if he can.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
thats such a shame :(

esp after the great write up you just had in banzai, i was really looking forward to seeing this at Knockhill in a few weeks time. totally gutted for you mate

and those photos dont work

Fusion Ed

He posted about this on the MSC. I have a feeling we will see this being transferred over to an Almera...

Tim GTiR

What an awful shame :cry:

Lets hope he bounces back and builds another great project, that micra was fantastic.

Tim

P

pulsarboby

as paul said really!
when you go on track and push yourself and car to the limits, this can always happen.
at least hes ok, the cars just a big lump of tin which can be replaced.

he needs to get straight back on track with any car now, and give it some abuse! or the fear gremlins will set in his head and he'll be finished with racing.

may sound harsh, but none the less true!

scottyd

is there no kind of insurance that covers you in circumstances like these? or does it only cover damage to the track?

GINGA

You can purchase trackday cover from somewhere like competition car insurance etc but it can be quite pricey and the excess is normally quite high (£2000), so unless you have a car thats worth quite alot its not really worth it.

PaulB

Wanna talk us thru it Dave? You were just overtaking that corsa, and then drove off the track, summat happen to the car ?

dazzagtir

I know this is obviously a very silly question but what and were would you get engine mounts from to fit an sr20det engine in a micra? Ive always thought it would be a great project but all my mates just take the **** :(

Dragmera

Dunnoh why it happened, the back end just went light and snapped out.

Maybe it was only a matter of time before it happened.

400+ BHP and such a light car with such a short wheelbase is a recipe for disaster.

Next time I'll just stick to 1/4 mile & top speed.

I have to admit, that of all the diciplines at TOTB 6, I enjoyed the top speed the most.

Cheers

Dave

P.S. You need to custom make the mounts bud!

Braveheart

That is a silly question..:der:
Engine mounts would be a minor complication compared to the other work involved.

Getting back to the thread, from the vid, looks like Dave put the off side wheels on the dirt, picked up more grip from the near side which forced the car to vear left.

Gutted for you Dave. :cry: Hope you get over this quickly and get something exciting as a replacement and back on the track!

antgtir

Shame to see alot of hard work go the way it has but to be honest at least you have done it and not just talked about it, good on you.

I would aim to do the whole lot Dave, 1/4 mile, top speed and track. I suppose having done the track to death (i assume) you want to try your hand at something new but imo i would think the track is much more fun that straight line events? everyone to their own i suppose.

Hope your feeling alittle better now than you did when you got home that day, will be good to see what you have in store for the next project, dont be shy, spread the gossip :lol:

Ant.