3071 vs standard gearbox

MarkTurbo

Just thought i'd post the pictures of my gearbox now i've stripped it so people can see what they're letting themselves in for when they go sticking bigger turbo's on with a standard box ;-)

Nothing left on the mainshaft :lol:

Still a few teeth left on the input shaft!

The magnet in the bottom of the box did its job and picked up virtually all the bits.

MarkTurbo

How many miles, track days, launches ect did it the box last with the turbo
Probably just over 1000 miles, around 70+ launches, no track days but quite a few sprints & hillclimbs.

Cool! Did the gearbox still work when you removed it?
Yes, it just had an extra neutral :lol:

at wich level of power your gearbox has gone? pushed the 3071 to its limit?
No, i've only ever run it upto 1.7 bar. I'll get round to trying 2 bar one day!

chrism

My gearbox apparantly did the same thing just before I bought it when Ashills had it. He put a quaife 3rd gear in and the others were treated by firing tiny ball bearings at them. Cant for the life of me remember what thats called in english. Anyone? The box has now held five years and about 30000km. Ive been running almost 2bar@3071. Its been launched a good few times.

MarkTurbo

You can see why they break when you look at the gears, 1st & 2nd look reasonably strong but 3rd, 4th, and 5th have pathetic little teeth on them. My Dad has got an old mini gearbox and i'd say some of the gears in that actually look stronger :lol:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I was looking at it, but Danny said it was more likely I just needed GL4 oil because it was likely someone had filled it with GL5 and the synchromesh can't keep up.