3071 turbo info

Fusion Ed

Here for one of the first times is a 3071 vs a Stock T28 GTIR turbo. As you can see the stock is inferiour in every way. (stock turbo was @ 1.2 bar for as best as it could manage) 3071 was at 1.7 bar.

Fusion Ed

It took a while to make it that nice haha. Thinking of using it for an advert shortly.. That was data picked from a logging session of over 1/5th million samples. lol

Fazz

I assume this was stu's .86 AR ??

Looks impressive indeed... I look forward to feeling the advantage!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can you do the above chart against rpm rather than time. That will give us the full picture of what rpm both turbos start spooling and then how they compare upto the redline.

Fusion Ed

The 3071 was Steve Pudneys.
I can't do an any more accurate than that one right now, However against RPM it would look 99% the same. I could have labeled it either as the data run was in the same gear, and both to 6000+ so its valid as one agianst RPM as well, even if not technically correct.

bracpan

Looks very interesting, I agree with fast guy a RPM scale on the bottom line would make very interesting reading.
Good work
Phil

Fusion Ed

I'll do that when the data exists, you can be sure of that. But as mentioned it wouldn't change the graph too much if anything the stock T28 would be shifted to the right slightly. I can give specific values on the response vs rpm if there is anything you want, but due to the way the logs were taken I don't have enough date over enough RPM points to make such a nice graph. (the two graphs don't compare well to rpm when the rpm points are different on each one, time however remains a constant). I may be able to interpolate the data later and produce a boost/rpm graph. It would be for approximate comparison only however.

Ed

bracpan

Sounds great, think it would be very interested reading, at what revs does the 3071 start to produce noticable boost? Specially compared to the standard turbo?
Cheers
Phil

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Phil, I've done some G-tech plots that calculate the torque curves on my old T28 and my new 3071. Althought the plots were taken a year apart and its a bit like comparing apples and bananas, you can see my 3071 is matching my old T28 up to about 3250 at which point the gap starts to open and by 4000 the 3071 was around 20% more. Its pretty unscientific when you consider the variables but it broadly reflects my experience. I was going to analyse it again for here given yesterday's RR experience.

Jim

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Here is a comparison from my G-Tech 2.0 software taken a year apart but the only major difference being the turbo and the boost level.

Key points:

1. The plots are real world horse power so are the result of everything including wind resistance (2nd gear to minimise) slopes, transmission losses, wheel friction etc.
2. The charts are far from a normalised enviroment but they were done on the same road!
3. The basic engine configuration is the same.
4. The T28 was re-built with 360deg bearings so isn't standard
5. On these occasions, the T28 was at 0.9Bar (Red), the T3071 was at 1.4bar (Black)

My conclusions:

From this and confirmed on my my recent RR experience making 377hp at 1.7Bar, it demonstrates the "standard turbo elbow" is really restricting the performance of the T3071. I had half expected this but thought I may as well wait until the RR to confirm it more scientifically before I specced my new custom exhaust.

Performance is more than just fitting a bigger turbo.

My advice to anyone else is not to uprate your turbo to a 2871, 3071 or larger without changing the exhaust elbow. You will eliminate any hint of boost surge on the standard elbow but IMO it loses around 10% power at high revs.

Its only cost me a gasket so I'm not fussed, the new exhaust AND elbow will get fitted in the next weeks.

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

Fazz

Interesting info thanks Jim.

Helps me get prepared for my mapping session in Jan so think I'll try get an elbow in then too!

Are there any aftermarket straight fit jobs or is this going to be a custom job ? ?

Are you sure its teh elbow and not the downpipe? Do you think the downpipe would restrict if the elbow was replaced - I suspect you are changing both at same time whilst getting made up???

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
My downpipe is 2.5" to a 2.5" system and back box. The elbow is pretty shocking and I've always just stuck with it as the replacement was looking a bit expensive. My front section will look like Wayne's as its done by the same bloke.

Here is the post : http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42861

IMO its definately the elbow and probably the down pipe. The custom solution means I don't have to worry about either ;-)