Edd

i doubt it :lol:

i'm having a custom 5 inch exhaust from the turbo back made up :wink:

A

Anonymous

Had mine for over 2years now.

On the rollers with a bigger turbo then normal but not that big
made 320 at the fly at 0.8ish bar
The engine was standard about from cams/turbo/exhaust.

R

r5ben

ive just had a 3" decat made for my car not run it yet so ill have to get back to you on the bhp :wink:

N

Ninja_tune_factory

im looking to tack my zorst to 3inch pipe woek but dont no if there any point ? :?

E

Edd

skiddusmarkus said:
Edd said:
i doubt it :lol:

i'm having a custom 5 inch exhaust from the turbo back made up :wink:
Are you kidding?5"-that's way OTT for any 2litre car.3.5" is plenty for any car on here.
lol i'm having a laugh i was bored at work and wanted to see who'd fall for it :wink: :lol:

Websnowbo

I'd just like to know if there is actually any reason for the 3" being to much better.

I know the theorys but have we proof?

I can see why a better flowing or alternativly bigger downpipe would give results.

R

r5ben

a 3" pipe looks massive :shock: 3.5 " + any more i think would be well over the top and i bet it would not fit under the car or catch all over the place :evil: mine hits the floor sometimes now :cry:

C

caz

3'' downpipe is the best option. i gained 0.1 bar from having one on my SR20DET. Up to you wether U have 2 and a half or 3'' pipework to the rear of the car. I know people who have had better results from a 2 and a half inch pipework. But deffo 3'' downpipe. Just make sure its got a flexi joint

ashills

mines and gingas car were both pulling the same sort of powers of the rolling road and when we turbning boost up on mine it didnt really like and the RR guy recond that we both needed the 3" to get rid of some back pressure etc but now with a twin dump pipe it seems to flow alot better and just waiting to get the car back on road to get a full 3" system on then back to pts to see what the powers like now ( but im running .4 bar of boost more so wont be a true comparison) but we good to see if i run it for one run at teh old boost setting

K

KRS

Turbo spins up from the change in pressure from either side of the turbo, In theory the bigger the bore after turbo, the greater the pressure diffrence.. so quicker spool up and power should be expected.

Might depend on turbo size, but there must be a point that going bigger no longer makes a diffrence. Maybe im wrong? But after a certain point the pressure diffrence made from going bigger would be minimal, so gaining power there would be a waste of time...

The 5 inch sounded like a good way to test this :p ;) :lol:

youngsyp

The only thing you have to worry about with the increasing size of the pipe is the gas temperature. Well, that and whether the pipe would fit under the car :D
As the gas flows along the exhaust, the temperature of it will fall. Cooler gas means denser gas which, will travel at a slower velocity. This is why you may want to consider a 3" or larger downpipe flowing into a system that gradually tapers to a smaller bore as it gets to the back box. I think a 3" system from the turbo back would be optimal for most applications. But, you would probably want a 3.5" exhaust for anything more than 350 bhp.
Another issue is the possibility of boost spikes due to the size of the turbo elbow. However, this would probably be offset by the increase in gasflow and spool up time !

My 2 p :wink:

R

r5ben

does anyone do anythin with the turbo elbow ?? i posted about the dump pipes that the big bhp R S USE AND THE 200 SX BOY BUT ANYONE USE THIS PIPE ??

GINGA

I think it was G force who did tests with 3" against 3.5" exhausts for scoobies and found a 12bhp increase over the 3" version and iirc that was on a 300bhp car so i'd expect at 400bhp the gains to be greater 8)

N

Ninja_tune_factory

just bin down to longlife and they want £250 to make a down pipe for the R ( thats why to over priced i fink)

any way i asked them if they make me a 3" systerm for the R, they said that they could do it but when it come to the part that sits over the axle it would have to be tackin down to 2 1/2" coz 3" will not fit :? i told them that othere exhaust that are made for the R are 3" all they way and they said that it could not be done :? :? :? :?