3" down pipe with elbo's

Mr GTiR

yeah was going to say looks like the item that Kev R has just got.

Trust Fastguy to reply first :wink:

Tony

i can get a 3" mandrel bent front pipe made up for bout £120, and its got a "sumthing" coupling rather than the flexi.

Tony....

Jobi Joba

Tony said:
i can get a 3" mandrel bent front pipe made up for bout £120, and its got a "sumthing" coupling rather than the flexi.

Tony....
Tony:With the turbo elbow?Can we fit a Goose exhaust after your front pipe?

everyone:same questions about the Goose for the downpipe whicg is pictured...

gtirpulsar

Jobi you don't need a front pipe with a Mongoose as it already includes one and I don't believe it can be removed without cutting the system.

And the turbo elbow you see will not fit any other exhauset standard or uprated as it is considerably longer than the standard elbow

G

GTI-R Kid

Kev you have the 3" pipe from Sasha - what are you planning on bolting to it to finish the system or are you going to have to get something custom made for the application?

Jobi Joba

gtirpulsar said:
Jobi you don't need a front pipe with a Mongoose as it already includes one and I don't believe it can be removed without cutting the system.

And the turbo elbow you see will not fit any other exhauset standard or uprated as it is considerably longer than the standard elbow
I was talking about what finishes the system after the part pictured (elbow/downpipe combo)...

So,same question as GTIR Kid...

skiddusmarkus

That's a good price.The flexi is there for a good reason though.It makes fitting/removal easier and more importantly,if you reverse into something or someone runs into the back of you,the shock won't rip your turbo off.

323GT-R

You definitely need some flex in the set up, don't forget the R engine is transverse, so rocks backwards and forwards a little in the car, expecially on gear changes. Also having a flex section isolates a lot of the vibration and makes the exhaust quieter in the car.

When I made my 3 inch downpipe, I just went to a local company that make truck exhausts, and they gave me an off cut of 3 inch flex pipe which I welded straight on. This is what I now have on my 323...

gtirpulsar

Well I've just had all the parts fitted today. I can't give any enlightened view at the moment as most of the journey was down my favourite twisty roads.... but in the torential rain with rush hour traffic doing a driving Miss Daisy :evil:
Anyway when I did boot it there is a definite improvement over what was there before - hole in down pipe and a couple of loose nuts on the exhaust manifold :roll: I have got that pinned back in the seat sensation I have been missing for so long. But I want to to make better observations in daylight to see whathas happened to my boost level.
Unfortunately on the way home I drove over a speed hump, which I normally drive straight over only to hear crunch :x bollox obviously the flexi join on the downpipe - I will inspect when its dry.

Anyway in answer to the rest of the exhaust
3" decat
The remainder Scorpion... looks like 2.25-2.5"

G

GTI-R Kid

So would it be fair to assume so that you could use the larger front section and bolt it straight to the Mongoose Cat replacement pipe and have the rest of the system Mongoose then? Just basically do away with the Mongoose front section?

Is there any problem with having the system going from 3" down to 2.5"?

gtirpulsar

I honestly thought the mongoose was one complete system... I mean not sectioned? If its sectioned then yes.
In the posts I have been following about exhaust systems I have seen people specifically design their system to go smaller further down the line to increase the velocity of the exhaust. I don't understand the theory behind that.
All I was interested in was reducing back pressure at the turbo outlet... plus getting rid of my weedy HKS downpipe that had a hole in it. I can't say that a 3" system is necessary for such a low powered R ~ 300hp, certainly the more power you produce the bigger your exhast should go.

G

GTI-R Kid

If i remember correctly from fitting my Mongoose it came in 4 parts - front pipe, cat replacement pipe, rear section and tailpipe trim. :)

So if its not prying too much - how much did the 2 parts cost and what sort of shipping was on top of that?

gtirpulsar

Not the price you would pay ;)
TBH if you really wanted to get Sasha to source you similar kit then you wouldn't be getting identical pipes to me as he fell out with the exhaust manufacturer that made mine.. He's not unreasonable though even at full price eg http://www.gtir.com.au/products.htm but the main reason I went with an Australian product/Sasha is that the whole concept of split dump pipes was discussed on the OZ list first over a year ago, and I know from personal reccomendations that Sasha does a job properly (or gets it done properly for him)

There is also another option PM me if you want to know more

gtirpulsar

Well I inspected my exhaust today and it was the flanges that join the dump and down pipes that got scraped and only minorly thankfully, everything looks okay in the engine bay too :)

Did a bit more testing today, yes a significant improvement is really noticeable. Its definitely better than I remember it ever being as it pulls very hard in 4th and 5th (well harder than I ever remember) I'm glad the boost level did not change still just a smidge over a bar, though I do think I will need the unichip remapping to make sure I don't det(it was set to overfuel even at 1.4 bar before)
After replacing the exhaust parts I had systematically cured 3 exhaust leaks 2 on the header 1 massive one on the flexi join. So I was hoping that one problem may have dissapeared; that is late boost. But alas no, I still only make positive boost at 3200 rpm though it is on full boost at 4200 in every gear as opposed to 4500 beforehand - but as I've said before when I am at full boost I feel pinned again :). So I'm putting the lag down to the h00j fmic
A couple of other niggles, the exhaust manifold was very pporly made, though I won't name names I can say what was wrong with it, none of the runners flanges were straight and had to be skimmed flat. The welds at the edges of the runners were too large next to 3 of the bolt holes and meant 2 had to go without washers and one had to be "adapted". The length of the exhaust runner was too short. So I had to get a mate to make me a special spacer from stainless (painstaking). It also twisted the turbo slightly out of true with its original position, which lead to my next problem... the downpipe flexi joint is now 1mm away from the car body at one point and so sends an immense amount of vibration through the car body. Oh well I will just have to take the down pipe off and machine some of the spare material down arond the flexi joint so as to make the gap bigger.
I don't expect the exhaust header to last forever but still it looks pretty
I'm not sure the power is much over 300hp but I'm happy.

gtirpulsar

Some more pics

Gearshift stabiliser bushes I fitted these :shock: :lol: they are well worth the effort - much smoother gear changes. Doesn't make your gear lever solid in the box but does make it nice and smooth.

Sasha's and HKS down pipe side by side you can see the hole in my downpipe, and the difference in widths

The header and dump pipe now ceramic coated (I was too late to get the bolts welded on Nikko - it had already been sent for ceramic coating and welding afterwards would have damged the coating)

the standard turbo elbow and dump pipe side by side. You can't see from this pic how restrictive that elbow is. Sure you have a nice wide opening for the exhaust and wastegate gases to colide in. But immediately after that there is like a 1 inch square hole (more like a muffin shape) for the exhaust gas to try and pass through which then opens up to that larger outlet about 2 and 1/4 inch

My mechanic doing his impression of holding the baby. The assembly now complete with Mike/ex-gtirs flexi oil and water feed pipes