10k Boost Spray

Matt Evans

Hi, has anyone tried '10k Boost'? if so, is it worth trying and where's the best place to introduce it?

moved - edd

A

Anonymous

Heard all good reports but never used it myself. I think you need to introduce it as close to the engine as poss. ie. remove the air filter and blast it down there! I think it just decokes the engine getting rid of all the soot and carbon build up (which can make quite a difference on older cars)

Dunc

A

antilag

just a tip i engine flushed my old cavailer gsi a few years back because it had hydrolic tappets and they sounded awful and i was told that they jack up or summin so i flushed the engine and it freed everything up to make the car sound ten times bad i was so gutted lol and struggled to sell the car

GTIR-LOZ

i used it but had troubles cos it wouldnt run without the induction pipe on, i think due to dodgy fuel pump, which i have replaced since, didnt do much really, just missfied for ages :(

kyepan

Hannie, i have a can and tried to use it but had a couple of probs..

when i took the inlet pipe off the turbo the MAF sensor was no longer reading and the car ran really oddly.. but we managed to get two minutes worth in, much of which dribbled out the bottom of the turbo inlet .. then when the fans cut in cause of heat soak the car stalled..

gonna try again, how did you do it?

skiddusmarkus

You spray it down the induction pipe,you don't remove it as the car won't run with no AFM.Remove the air filter and make sure you don't get it in the little hole that houses the hotwire.

You can get non aerosol stuff which is cheaper and lasts longer.

Hannie

you do it as skiddus says, take air filter off and spray down keeping revs at around 2-2500.

mine kicked out loads of cráp for a good 30 mins after doing it, but now its fine, runs much better and the small misfire i had before seems to have disappeared...coincidence?..who knows! :)

Matt Evans

HI all, I've finally tried the '10k Boost' spray. I opened the air filter box (as I had a standard filter at the time) just enough to get the can and my hand in. While my mate kept the revs constant I let rip with the can. The car ran lumpy as hell while I was spraying and kicked a bit of crap out from the exhaust. Took it for a blast down the road and for the first couple of minutes was lumpy and missing. The further I drove, the better it got and it did seem to be smoother and the acceleration did seem crisper than before. Bottom line is, it definately worked, but I haven't come to the conclusion whether its worth £20+ for a can, I guess it depends on how badly your engine needs de-coking. Give it a try and see what you think.

C

chrislloydus

heres the best money saving tip...............
its exactly the same as 'Wynns Carb and injection cleaner' priced at £4.49 a can. Yes the same. OK it doesnt come in a nice box and it doesnt have a nice name but 9 times out of 10 its right next to 10k boost on the shelf in Halfords :roll:

Its not actually designed for turbo cars as the spray wont make it through the intercooler. Ideally you want to put the AFM directly on the plenum, run the car and spray from there. 80% of the crud in the system is in the plenum as thats where the blow-by gasses from the cam cover are routed back to.

andygtir

i tried it and it did make a marked improvement- better though was when i flushed out the intercooler with petrol, that made a massive difference.

Matt Evans

Flushed out the I/C with petrol? I've never heard of that before. What do you do exactly and does anyone else recomend doing this or not?

J

J-GTi-R

It is recommended, because the oil seperator is a bit rubbish, the intercooler slowly gunks with oil and crap up over time. I cleaned mine out last year and there was loads of black gunk coming out of it.

M

Mart

andygtir said:
i tried it and it did make a marked improvement- better though was when i flushed out the intercooler with petrol, that made a massive difference.
And if u didn't let it dry out and put it straight back on during a hot day, came back half an hour later it would have gone even better!!

Matt Evans

At the risk of sounding thick! How exactly do you flush the I/C out? Do you literally have a gallon of petrol and pour it in one end, then let it drain through the other? Or am I missing something important? I don't want to f--k anything up!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You should be able to use gunk engine degreaser as well.
Take the intercooler off the car, put the degreaser in, shake it about and leave it for a while and empty. Petrol is a very good degreaser but abit flammable if you like to smoke.