1.8lx Mondeo fueling problems?

M

macphegf

Ok, it's not an R but it's my daily runner and it's starting to **** me off. It started getting 'jumpy' at low revs 1-2k rpm, then got worse. It started jumping right through the rev range after a while even when putting the foot down. i changed the plugs at the weekend and to my amazement it seemed to sort the problem, but within about 2-3 days it's started doing it again, but it's now back to only doing it low in the rev range.

I was going to replace the fuel filter next as there's a chance it's never been done (56k miles) but I was thinking if that's the problem why would changing the plugs fix it temporarily? Any ideas much appreciated!

1998 1.8 Zetec 16v @ 56k miles

Cheers,

antgtir

Sounds like the car may be overfueling mate. Id take the new plugs out and check them for a build up of coke, if they have then its a fueling problem.

Sometimes this may be caused by a faulty lamda sensor, may be causing the car to overfuel. If you have access or have a very good friend put the car on an emisions tester and see what readings you get.

To me sounds like a sensor. Good luck.

Ant. ;-)

M

macphegf

Cheers for the reply, the thing I forgot to mention was that the old plugs looked ok to me (but then again, I'm no mechanic :) ). Could I just try wiping them clean with something to see if that temporarily solves the problem then?