Worth getting uprated HT leads

dombat

My HT leads are the originals, so pretty old now.

I read that most standard HT leads have a carbon core so will deteriorate over time.

Is it worth getting a decent lead (such as Magnecor) or just get Nissan or similar standard one's to replace them?

youngsyp

If you're replacing old ones, then yes but, don't waste your money on Magnecors etc...

I've had a set from the guys below for almost a year and they work brilliantly. They also offer less resistance than the stock ones (I've measured them) so, you should get a slightly stronger spark.

Being so cheap, also helps and their customer service is good too.

These are made in exactly the same way as the Magnecors and probably use the same materials too.

www.performanceleads.co.uk

GTIR-LOZ

thats who i used as well i had problems with magnacors and they let water into number 1 spark plug hole not a problem with these

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Allegedly the standard ones are fine upto 400+ (I think) and there's no point in uprating them.

youngsyp

Fast Guy said:
Allegedly the standard ones are fine upto 400+ (I think) and there's no point in uprating them.
I think the term 'uprated' can be a bit misleading.
I went for the leads mentioned as, they are made from better materials than the stock plug leads so, they should last longer and perform better. That's how I mean 'uprated' and why I see it as worth while.

If you look at it a different way, the 'uprated' leads were actually £20 cheaper than the stock ones so, in that way, they're not 'uprated'. :lol:

Just because they will be 'fine' up to 400 bhp, doesn't mean they can't be better. The same applies to the OE exhaust manifold. People always say that it will also cope up to 400 bhp. Of course, a better designed manifold will work better ! ;-)

Last edited:

Braveheart

youngsyp said:
If you're replacing old ones, then yes but, don't waste your money on Magnecors etc...

I've had a set from the guys below for almost a year and they work brilliantly. They also offer less resistance than the stock ones (I've measured them) so, you should get a slightly stronger spark.

Being so cheap, also helps and their customer service is good too.

These are made in exactly the same way as the Magnecors and probably use the same materials too.

www.performanceleads.co.uk
youngspy.... you should be getting commission for this now... ;-) :lol:

Keira

how are standard leads going to be the best option if you were running a completely non standard ignition set up then ?

turblio

JUst bought a set of performance leads.co.uk and it has cured a missfire I have had and the nissan leads that came off were only 2 months old!