Wirring Noise

W

Willy

My car makes a wirring noise when the engine is running. It seems more evident when the engine is cold and the wirring noise continues for at least 15 minutes. It doesn't seem to be oil pressure related, because once the oil pressure has dropped down to normal, the wirring noise stays.

I put my ear to the rocker cover at the timing chain end and it sounds like it's coming from there. When I first heard it I thought it may have been the alternator or something, but now I think that it's not.

Any help? Does anyone else get noises like this?

People have told me that it's common for SR20s to make timing chain noise. Even S15s do!! The car runs fine and still goes well. It only has 90000 km on it.

Thanks for any help in advance

geetee

Because of the camchain you do get a bit of noise.

Also the injectors on the R are noisy.. but that's a clickety clickety noise

My R makes a fairly loud rumbly neighbour waking noise in the morning..... but that's just the Goose! And I don't care.

If this is happening before the oil is fully warmed up... you may want to change your cam chain tensioner. I believe this is tensioned by oil pressure and so at lower temps may give more noise. I think this is a fairly easy engine in swap out job - but don't quote me ;)

So
Do an oil change to a decent oil
e.g/ CastrolRS or Millers 10-60W

Change your cam chain tensioner (sure there's posts on here HOWTO)

Change your Cam Chain.
Seek professional psychiatric advice and a good mechanic. If it goes wrong you may need to have a strong support network around you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

W

Willy

Cool thanks.

I did an oil change and it didn't make any difference.

Does it have any bad side effects other than the wirring noise?

geetee

Does it have any bad side effects other than the wirring noise?
You see that's a half question...

If it is just the camchain whirring away to itself..... then welcome to R land!

You are hearing the difference between a camchain and a cambelt.

A cambelt will be silent as a ghost then snap.

I have never ever ever ever ever (is that enough ever's?) heard of a camchain snapping! But day to day running you can hear it if you stick your head under the bonnet.

Are you fairly new to R ownership?

If so... you may find the top end of the engine disturbingly noisy with the chain whirring around and the injector's chattering away. Don't worry until a. something goes bang b. it gets a lot worse very suddenly.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

W

Willy

hehe, yeah I'm new to the R :)

I was told that SR20s have a lot of chain noise etc. That's why it doesn't worry me too much. It's always made that noise since I bought it 3 months ago. I've heard other R's much noisier than mine.

W

Willy

Hehe, thanks man.

I've already had the clutch dramas. I've had to fix the master and slave cylinder and then I had the support bracket snap!!!

So now that's re-welded and I've added the extra support brace.

Not sure if the clutch is standard or not. So far I've run a 13.1 with it (dropped exhaust, standard boost and FMIC). It has slipped a little once or twice. More so, with weight in the car. (sorry I got side tracked)

geetee

Quite... it has slipped a little on standard boost.

Won't be long before you're running at least 1 bar with the rest of the muppets.

Bugger is it starts to slip then it just gives up - no in between.

Think about where you're heading power wise and get a clutch to suit -then pay someone to fit it.

You don;t want to do it twice - it's an engine out job which at the pros will cost a whole day - £600 fitting plus £250 - £xxxx parts

There are good blokes on here who will do clutch changes for much less.. you'll come to know them ;)

W

Willy

Yeah I'm planning on upping the boost soon and doing the exhaust. I don't know which one to do first.

I've heard a lot of people saying that the clutch is an expensive, engine out job. I may give it a go myself, as I can get by without using my car. I've heard a few people say that it is possible to change the clutch and leave the engine in. There are people here in Aus. that do it in a day, problem is that I live in a small town that's at least 1300 km from any of them :(

geetee

Get a free flowing exhaust and filter first.

Then (if I were starting again!) I would upgrade the brakes next.

Then worry about making it go faster.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is it definately from the engine? The power steering pump and alternator can also make whirring noises sometimes.

W

Willy

I thought (and kinda hoped) that it was the alternator or P/S pump, but I put my ear to the rocker cover and it's coming from the timing chain end. I'll do another check soon and make sure.

O

one Gti-R

from the sketch deatils that you have given it sounds like the timing chain that has already been identified.

Get a long screwdriver and place it on the alternator hold the handle to your ear you will be able to tell if its the alternator,

Also it could be comming from the powersteering pump ???

or event possibly the the waterpump is on its way out. they are basically situated under the timing chain and the wirring could be comming from either of these aswell.