wiring the fuel pump direct to the battery..

turboloon

i want to hard wire the fuel pump directly to the battery now i have read the how to , but my question is how do you connect the wires (the +,-)to the screw cap on top of the fuel tank ...?

P

pulsarboby

just use a couple of small spade connectors or something similar!

turboloon

the way i'm reading the how to guide now has me thinking i need to cut the live wire in the plug and loop the relay in to that...what do you reckon bob..?

P

pulsarboby

is this a temporary thing to test flow rate etc or are you looking to leave it as a permenant thing?
think were crossing wires here lol

MarkTurbo

When you say 'directly' to the battery do you mean without a relay to cut the pump if the engine stops to prevent it carrying on pumping fuel everywhere in the event of an accident :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

turboloon

it 's alright lads i've sussed it out now bearing in mind i ain't a time served mechanic i'm just learing as i go along, i now under stand the purpose of the relay and where to locate it..., it looks as though my pump ain't been getting the full voltage just under 10 volts i was seeing, so i'm going to wire it direct from the battery with in line fuse and relay as described in the how to.

geetee

Check it's not just the earth first. Mine was like that and it was just the earth which was high resistance.

I just ran a new earth cable to one of the nuts by the back light cluster which sorted it as a "temporary" fix - so temporary it's still like that 2 years on! :D