Wiring fog light into rear cluster.

warringtonjack

View attachment 1614

geetee said:
If I remember correctly all four rear lights are Stop / Tail i.e. they have 2 filaments... one 5W one 22W

Basically you need to do the following to the offside rear cluster inner rear light....

1. Disconnect / cut the existing wires to the 22W and 5W terminals.
2. Connect what was the 5W feed to the 22W terminal
(at this point the 22W will light whenever you turn on the lights. Check it does so you know you're right so far!)
3. Cut what is now the 22W feed. Run 2 wires to the front of the car and attach to a switch.
4. Attach the other end of these 2 wires to the 2 ends of wire where you cut the 22W feed by the rear light.
5. Take the bulb out of the other inner rear light.

Make sure you get a switch with a 'tell-tale' light in it. i.e. a little light that comes on when the fog light does... otherwise it will still fail the MOT.

You'll probably find the switch has 3 terminals (or 4 if it is backlit).

1. Live in.
2. A live for the telltale indicator.
3. Earth.

So what you end up having to do is attach the live wire running from the back of the car to the Live in. Attach the other wire from the back of the car to the Earth terminal. Splice the return wire to the back of the car to plug into the telltale terminal.

Usually the terminals on the switch aren't marked so it's a bit of trial and error.

I suppose you could splice the earth wire from the rear light fitting and only run one wire the length of the car and just run to earth on the far side of the switch.

Not sure why I ran 2 wires now :? Oh well, I'm not changing it, it works :D

If you like you can go further and hook it up to the other side 22W also. But personally I couldn't be bothered given that I use my fogs about once a year if that.

If I get time I might even pull it apart and make a note of the wire colours too :)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
Thought I'd save some people the trouble of locating the search button. :roll: Will be sorting this little mod tonight. :D

Thanks GeeTee. :thumbsup:

Attachments

geetee

No probs.

Reading that again, if you do it that way you do need the 2 wires running to the switch as it is essentially breaking the live feed.

I'm sure there is probably a more elegant solution.... but it works and hasn't set fire to my car yet.

Cheers
Graham