wilwoods pulling to the right under braking

M

mynheers_a_pint

Hi all,
i have just spent the afternoon fitting my Wilwood kit and everything seemed to have gone well. I have jsut taken the car out for initial testing and am finding the car is now pulling to the right/drivers side, under braking. We have been having a few issues bleeding the brakes but we were fairly certain we'd cleared everything. Perhaps not?

i guess what i'm asking is, is it normal for new brakes to pull like this? Will this dissapate after a bedding in period? I am not too happy driving it with it pulling to the right- it is not severe, but enough that i have to correct.

Could it be a bleeding issue that is causing this? We have bled the brakes using all 4 bleed nipples, working from the furthest to the closest. I'm hoping this is ok?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

GTIR-LOZ

you are only meant to use the top two nipples as they are interchangable calipers i.e can go both sides unless you are using a pressure bleeder you may get air back into system, also did you do the rears, after opening the brake system you will need to do all the brakes

Braveheart

There's something wrong if the car is pulling to one side.

I find that gravity bleeding the brakes gives me good results every time.

Make sure you keep the reservoir topped up at all times.
You can try just bleeding the front first and see what the paddle is like.
When I upgraded my brake. New front four pots and braided lines and 5.1 fluid, I just gravity bleed the lot. I quickly blead the air out the front then gravity blead all four.

Open (you can even screw it right out) the bleed nipple on n/s rear caliper, gravity bleed (i.e. without pressing brake pedal just let the fluid seep/flow out) until the new fluid started to come through. Do the same for o/s rear, n/s front then finally o/s front.

If you have changed pads and not disks, the pedal will feel a bit sloppy/spongy until the pads bed in to the old disks.

M

mynheers_a_pint

cheers guys. We have compelted bleeding- there is no more air coming through so we can only assume that thebrakes are completly bled. We do seem to have 1 piston that is very lazy- when we remove the pads, 3 of them slide willingly, but the 4th, top outer, doesn't come out, unless you force it out- put the pad in horizontally on the bottom piston. It's a little concerning as they are brand new....

We started n/s rear and worked our way round- o/s rear, n/s front/ o/s front.

Braveheart

Sounds like you have bleed them ok. If your pedal is firm that's a good indication that their is no air in the system.
That lazy pistons could be the problem. I'd swap the pads over n/s to o/s as a final sanity check. If it's still the same I'd have a chat with the supplier before sending them back or removing pistons.
Hope you sort it out!

M

mynheers_a_pint

we're gonig to swap the calipers- if we have the problem on the other side then it's the caliper. I got them from rally design- I'm sure they'll be really helpful, i'm jsut concerned it'll be a week without the car :S

M

mynheers_a_pint

...i bloody hope the'll do that

Cheers for your help.

M

mynheers_a_pint

duff caliper. Swapped them over and now it pulls to the left so i will try and get them to same day a new one. ****.

P

pulsarboby

thats unusual, first time ive heard of a duff caliper from new, but that is obviously the problem.
reckon theyll just send you a next day delivery one out then back the faulty one.

M

mynheers_a_pint

my thoughts too but i've got to try- i need the car to get to work!