Willwood brakes - 9 months or so later - need your reviews!

S

Stoned

So I'm looking to upgrade my brakes and I remember that there was a good group buy on Willwood brakes at the end of last year

So now some times has passed what do people think of their Willwood brake setup, did you resolve the squealing noise some of you were getting?

I have Oz Superleggera's in 16" form and am considering spending the £520 or whatever it was on a brake upgrade from Rally so would appreciate the up-to-date reviews!

Cheers

Chris

A

AZ STE

Back to the old question and youre going to get a mixed reaction.
Me personally have had the 285 setup and its been great I would have had the 310 at the time just didnt have enough money when my discs wear out I will buy the 310 discs and brackets and upgrade.
Mine never ever squealed they do need to be bedded in though.With regards to pads Demon Tweeks now do several different makes in their Motorsport catalogue so your not just restricted to the Poly Qs.
Overall for the money I found the kit very well made..

A

AJ4

I've got 280mm under 15's, they are perfect when cold, but still squeal like a biatch when warming up. They also grind when the car is almost stopped.

Apart from the noise, I haven't managed to fade them once despite repeated emergency stops etc 8) I'd definately recommend the calipers, but the PolyQ's are just a tad too hard for normal road use.

coxie

ive got the 310mm kit in two piece discs and think the stopping power is unbeleivable :shock:

however the only down side is the pad noise :evil: :evil: ....soon to be rectified with new pads. 8) 8)

Mr GTiR

got the 310mm under 17" and am really impressed with the performance. had them locking up several times on our N/W xmas drive through Snake Pass near Stockport and Buxton.

not had any problems with noise, so i'm happy.

btw, i think i was one of the first to get the 310mm set 8)

A

Anonymous

had the 285's for well over a year now and am well happy with them...

started off with cross drilled discs but they were pants, so now have just grooved and they are amazing for the money!!

have got the squeeling noise but this is because I run Mintex pads, the EBC ones didn't squeel but didn't stop as good, so...

I had some grinding issues when coming to a stop, but I put this down to the fact I had the discs on the opposite way round, supposed to cut into the pad more...!!! :oops: Load of crap, all it does is eat the pads and grind like sh1t!! Has since been corrected... :D

kim.

Paul R

Got the 310 kit and they work great, been abused quite a few times down the lanes and not had them fade yet. No problems with noise but had two other problems so far:

Firstly on one side when brakeing the caliper used to twist over ever so slightly and the disk rubbed against the caliper, made a bit of a grinding noise and wore a groove in the caliper itself. I think this was more down to the bleeding of the individual cylinders as I revistited it and since then it hasn't happened again. Probably one side applying more pressure than the other and considering you get spacers with the 310 kit onto the original caliper mounting there was a bit of movement. I believe the 285 kit doesn't have the spacers, someone with that kit can confirm that.

Secondly either I need to clean up behind the rotor or I have warped one of the disks as it judders quite a bit when brakeing, not from cold only when warmer. I think it's something I have done as it never did it after first getting the kit. I keep forgetting to take the things off and have a look around.

Overall I'm very happy with them :)