wierd noise

leon2engines

hey guys i got a wierd noise coming from my engine. it sounds like a GRRRR/rattleing (slightly like big ends) sound coming from number 1/ timing chain side of the engine. it isnt related to engine speed only load!! i can run it to 6k with no noise but say im doing xxmph @ 3k rpm on a closed throttle its fine but as soon as i slightly open it up it makes the noise, if i floor it its not there. ive removed the plug leads one by one and its no different. im thinking timing chain??? what you rekon? also i just rebuilt my turbo will it be worth doing a "how to"?

kev GTI-R

i have exactly the same problem with my R, it is getting looked at tomorrow so i will let you know the out come, have a gut feeling it is something serious!!

T

The Troll

i reckon your engines close to dying tbh. something obviously loose and about to explode me thinks lol

is your alternator loose in any way?

pulsar_stu

Check that the bolt hasnt come out of the bracket on the alternater, and also check the crank pulley wheel, Mine had the same sound and started under load, then the pulley wheel seperated from the rubber part in the middle of it, also i had that noise when the bolt holding the alternater came loose and it couldnt come out, just kept ratling against the bracket.

kev GTI-R

on the way to getting my car checked today and on the way to the place the BIG END BEARINGS packed in!!. Hate to say it mate but what you discribe is the exact same as my car and it ran for approx 1000 miles like this.

Kev

J

jpward

Ohh cr@p mate sorry to hear well at least you know what's wrong now better that than paying 300 quiad and still not finding the fault! :cry:

Dooie Pop Pop

leon2engines said:
oh dear not sounding good!! i now work at engines advantages so if it dies i think ill be wanting a 350-400bhp rebuild!!
you know its almost worth the drive just to say heello:wave: last time i was there his lads were a little on young side..................?:shock:

leon2engines

Dooie Pop Pop said:
you know its almost worth the drive just to say heello:wave: last time i was there his lads were a little on young side..................?:shock:
they know there stuff though mate (one of them built engines at mountune for 6-7 years), whats in the "how to" that will help me out???