Whitline Springs. Again!!!

M

Murph

Put springs on last nite.F&R are rite way round as i found out fronts are 27mm thick & rears 20.Was pretty obvious really i suppose. just not certain ive got em the rite way up. I put tighter coils to the top as Jon T did. Can anyone out there please confirm if this is rite or not & put my mind at rest. Also does it matter which way up the fronts go??? Cheers

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Was having the same conversation with 2 mechanic mates the other day who were doing a suspension job on an Audi.

They put the tighter coils at the top saying: they'd always done it that way. Its done that way for motorbike suspension. It looks better.
We did have more technical arguments than that over weight of springs and order of compression. The most technical was the weight of the car works from the top and the tighter springs will coil first so the spring compresses down in the same direction as the car. Sounds good, could be complete tosh. :? We couldn't come up with anything conrete but it does add wieght to the way round you've done it.

From my own experience, I had them fitted to another car the other (wrong?) way round and they took about 2000 miles to bed and the tighter coils seemed permenantly compressed at the bottom. Again, I couldn't tell you if it would have been perfect if they were the same way as yours as I never bothered to swap them round.

In short you've probably fitted them correctly.