whistling noise

J

japedup

ive seen a post on this section talking about whistling noise when the boost comes in :x . mine does this :shock: . 1 person said that when turbos whistle they are either dying or dead, PLEASE NO. when i boost, it kicks in then it feels like the torque fades off a bit around 5500-6000 rpm,but on my turbo gage it still reads full wack. do i have to forkin fork out big bucks for my R. please some1 tell me i dont :(

A

Anonymous

I think as far as GTIR's are concerned the turbo whistle is a bad thing. However saying that every scooby I have been in makes a whistle noise as the turbo spools up, but that could just be down to the design of the engine.

turblio

Have to say that turbo whistle is normally a sign of wear on the R's turbine
keep an ear on it or get some one to check the play in the shaft
Frank

J

japedup

is this a big job to check the turbo out and to fix it or is it a new turbo time.

j10gtr

if your really lucky it could be a boost leak check all pipes and hoses and clips just to be sure.

Thanks
Paul

J

japedup

hopefully your right with the boost leak, but i doubt it with my luck i have had since i bought her

J

jonnyboy

hi i used to have a slight whistle on mine, seemed ok :!: took it on a track day and it siezed.
dont know if the whistle was the problem or just coincidence :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Whistling is often a sign that the turbo is dying, but a healthy turbo can whistle too. :?

J

jonnyboy

japedup said:
did it cause any damage to other parts of the engine
ther was slight damage to 1 of the pistons, but nothing major i took it home to gatwick then drove it to the garage the next day with no boost :shock: how slow :(
that was a year ago car should be back in a couple of week's :shock:
decided to do the full montey while it was there :twisted:

jonee

whistling turbo

if its making more noise than it normaly would and the boost is still there then take it from jonnyboy its gonna die pretty soon.just start preparing yourself for the inevertable turbo upgrade :shock: :D and then more power :D good luck

J

japedup

nice 1 for the advice peeps. ist uprated turbo time :twisted: