Which uprated front brakes would you choose???

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I'll still buy a bigger brake setup, 1 because I like the look of them, and 2 because my calipers are a bit old now, rubbers splitting and a bleed nipple snapped last week trying to undo it, so had to get it machined out to make it right again.

It did fine at Oulton park on Saturday, no leaks at all, but its one of those things that's always in the back of your head, and when your anchoring on at 125 mph, its not were i want to be! :der:
You've kind of contradicted yourself here, you've just said that the current kit did fine, but you are still going to buy a bigger kit?

Most of the braking crap has been covered here (pads etc), however buying a bigger kit doesn't mean that it's going to be better. If anything you could make it worse by changing your braking bias and making the car more unstable when braking at high speed.

The Hi-Spec kit can be serviced, all the seals can be orderd and replaced quite easily. I regularly inspect my K-Sport kit every 6 months to make sure it's in working order. The older Wilwood kit I have was also serviced with new seals clips and nipples (nipples are changed every 12 months for ease, reduces the issue of sheering them and peice of mind)

Personally I think your wasting yor money buying a bigger kit and will prob's make it worse. My current spec is 304mm 28mm thick discs, I easily hit 120mph (coming down to Knickerbrook and again at Old Hall) at Oulton Park, yet I have no need to upgrade the current setup any further.
I run Mintex 1166 pads from and 55's rear and they are more that adequate to slow the car and they are consistent over 10 laps of hard use.

The Carbotech pads are excellent, I've not used XP10's but I have used XP8's and I can prob's guess how good the 10's are. The only reason I don't use them currently is they are bloody expensive and for what I do on track and the cost I can get Mintex at, makes it a no-brainier for me.

Conclusion here is keep with what you have got, service it, Carbotech pads all round, quality DOT 4 brake fluid, (braided lines if not installed) and if Steve still makes them a Pudney Brake Stopper, order one of those it just gives you better feel.

Also last question, what upgrades have you made to your rear brakes?

I have no rush for the handling part of it Warpspeed, so keep me informed, thanks!
I've spoke to carbotech this morning, and yes, I will need to send a pad with a backing plate for rear if I want them to make me some rear pads, they have to buy about 400 backing plates at a time and have very little demand for the rears on pulsars which is why they don't stock them.

Yes Andy, I have definitely contradicted myself, I think deep down i just like spending money on the old shed, and love the look of MASSIVE brakes! I know the hi spec kit can be serviced but I fell out with my set when the nipples snapped (both on 1 side!), they are repaired and did fantastic and did not leak,...... but its always there niggling at me knowing that it is not 110% correct, leaking or not. I didn't touch the fluid for 2 years so its my own fault they seized in.

We were doing half hour stints, only on low boost though (1.4 bar, poxy 390BHP!! LOL!) and everything was still going well, brakes good, engine temp good, oil temp good, was awesome, only came in because we were knackered!

I tried to get a big rear brake kit, but failed, so got black diamond drilled and grooved discs to go with yellow stuff pads, already got braided lines all round and put dot 5.1 brake fluid in.

I absolutely love doing track days and driving the car like an arse legally, I also seem to have this habit of just spending spending and spending on it, which I don't mind! If my nipples didn't snap I would not be buying a new kit, but I am just to keep myself happy, moneys there to be spent, LOL!

Cheers for the advice pal! :-D

P

pulsarboby

chris if your after the 6 pot hispec kit il px mine against your 4 pots if you like
trust me though you will only notice a minimal difference due to the larger diameter pad and extra braking diameter of disc

pm me if your interested

Jon Olds

Initially tried std rear brakes on yellow stuff pads, as that was all that was available. Lots of front lockup issues, due to rears not working enough. The pads hardly showed any wear after 3 events, so I upgraded to wilwood 4 pots and more agressive pads. much better.
Jon

Cheers Bob, I cant though, I'd feel like I was having your pants down if I gave you my old kit, the nipples are sealed but it took a gentle touch to seal them, I reckon if someone else tried to nip them up they would over tighten it and it would be back to square 1 with a fooked caliper. really it needs 1 caliper replacing to be right.
Just tempted to buy new 335mm ones with blue calipers to be honest, I think it would look well with my blue car! If I change my mind though You'll be the 1st to know!
The rear brakes with those black diamond discs and yellow stuff pads did really well, and you can see that they have managed to create quite a lot of heat in them, I did fancy a big conversion kit though but struggled to find someone that did one, would be good if I could mount my front calipers on the back,..... but then I'd have no handbrake and it would fail mot!

Jon Olds

Wilwood do a 4 pot handbrake caliper. That's what's on mine. Handbrake is a chocolate teapot. Brakes are 1st class. Need bigger sics next, then new ali brakets to space the calipers off a bit more.
Jon

Doug

Chris, if you hang on a wee bit for the bushes there are some sets on the way to the uk just now that look to be excellent quality at a better price than the other known brands...i have already had a set in my hands and was very impressed by the quality
I would allso be very interested in this set,could you let me know when you have some for sale etc...