Which tyres??

S

Scrim

was just wandering which the best tyres are for my R? as this is my first change since owning the car. cheers.:-D

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
For the past 4 years I've always used Toyos...got a set of T1-Rs on at the mo and wet or dry they're awesome. They're a great all round tyre and won't (completly!) break the bank like others! If you've got a mate who can fit tyres then get them from www.mytyres.co.uk.

Hope that helps :)

donpulsar.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You can get a 195/55/14 Toyo T1R

To me they're a budget tyre. They might be good for the price, but I doubt they're the best out there.

I'd be surprised if they can outperform the likes of the top Yokos, Bridgestones, Pirellis etc

I run Dunlop sport SP 9000s.

Edited to put the right tyre size:doh:

Fusion Ed

They are certaintly not a budget tyre. But yes there are more expensive ones out there. I will beat my tyre prices on all toyo's if anyone is interested. :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I ran Toyos 225/40/16s on the front for a while and on the strip they were nowhere near as good as my Dunlop 205/50/15s I had on before, or the 215/35/16s I have on now.

That old saying "you gets what you pays for" seemed to apply;-)

O

Odin

I don't rate the Toyo's at all, The F1's a far better.

Rob

Paul20

i cant realy comment on the toyos but when i changed my tyres to goodyear eagle f1's, what a difference they made! very good tyre

S

speed_freak

toyos are ok, but for my money it would have to be yoko prada spec2's there awesome!

once they get some heat in them that is.

performance in the wet is impressive to.

youngsyp

The Toyo's are a fantastic tyre and certainly not a budget tyre. I was quoted £93 a corner from a 'highstreet' tyre fitter, for a 215/40-16. I then picked them up for £49 each from www.mytyres.co.uk !

I had Yokohama AVS sports on the car before and it was like night and day with the Toyo's. They offer far superior grip in both the wet and dry although, they do wear quicker.

The Goodyear F1's are a very good tyre too but, you physically get less rubber when they are new so, they'd wear even quicker.

I've heard very good reports about the Yokohama Parada tyres but, they don't do them in my size so, I've never tried them.

The Dunlop SP9000's are standard equipment on Porsche 911's so, you can come to your own conclusion from that !

With tyres, as you've seen, it really is horses for courses. Have a browse round the www and see what others make of the tyres mentioned here !

S

Scrim

hi micra ed! how much can you do me a pair of toyo's 205/40r17 W rated for? including delivery and vat. i live in west wales if that helps on the postage! cheers buddy!

S

Scrim

And thanks very much 2 every1 for their input! Much appreciated!

GTiRlover

Has anybody used Toyo R888 or the Yoko AO48 semi slick tyres as an everyday tyre? How do they wear compared to 'normal' tyres and how much extra grip do they offer? Also what is the grip like in damp/wet conditions?

D

deslynam

Goodyear Eagle F1s wear a smidgen faster than Toyo Proxie T1-Rs (which in my experience aren't as good as the discontinued T1-S). They're both quite a soft compound though.

Bridgestone Potenza RE720s are better than both, again in my experience, in damp conditions and comparable in the dry. Also last longer, but are usually cost the same.

I'd be intersted in trying another tyre of similar type next time - but R888s or A048s on the road would be a bit daft - you'd be through a set in a couple of months! :-D

Jonesy

Toyo T1-s

If anyone's intersted they are selling off toyo T1-s on ebay. £220 for 4 or £115 for 2 delivered. Thats 205/40/r17. May have other sizes to.

Braveheart

I popped my new buddyclub SF wheels / Toyo 205/50-15 on a week ago (scrubbed in) for a track day at Knockhill today but at 0800hrs there was wet snow outside, checked www and the track day was cancelled due to snow. Anyway, somewhat disappointed, I decided to take me mother some flowers instead :roll: .

"With consideration for other road users of course" :thumbsup:
The R888's were amazing.... 100mls round trip, with a mix of C, B and A roads (wet to very wet) I thought the car would be loose so I teased it through the bends waiting for it to step out. I ended up going through bends at speeds I would consider for the dry. Eventually, I got the odd drift but no bad surprises. These tyres, dispite the visable amount of tread really shifted the water and found grip very well. Looking through the rear view on the straights, there was a thick mist of spray and clear tracks through to the ashfelt. So, I rate these tyres highly, I was really surprised how well they performed in the wet but maybe they are a bit OTT for road use. I recon you may only get about 4 -5k miles from road use. It's just a pity Knockhill TD was cancelled. I'll try to keep them good for the next one mid April. 8)