Wheres the oil cooler?/.

W

wizgti

wheres the standard oil cooler on the R?
I'm getting hotter than normal oil temps but with no other problems apparent! Or do you have any other ideas what could cause this apart from a blocked cooler?
Ta
Andew

ex-gtir

yes the standard oil cooler is a heat exchanger fitted on rear of block by oil filter it uses water to cool the oil oil temp will rise when you increase water temp

you can see it in this photo
mike

W

wizgti

oils fine,waters fine (incuding the radiator)
At work at the mo so cant check oil cooler - any other ideas?

Ta

W

wizgti

Wicked picture mike-thankyou!

I'm at home now so I can see it-I take it ,it is the cylindrical thing with the pipe running off it?

Do you know if it's hard to take it off?

Ta
Andrew

O

Olly

What engine oil you using? are top mounted with some boost? do you still have orginal radiator? what concentration is your antifreeze? what oil temp do you get? 8)

W

wizgti

Olly said:
What engine oil you using? are top mounted with some boost? do you still have orginal radiator? what concentration is your antifreeze? what oil temp do you get? 8)
Oil is magnatec 10/40-used this for 2 years with no probs-could be a dodgy batch I suppose but I would of thought highly unlikely

Still running top mount with 1 bar boost-again been doing this for 2 years with no probs

Radiator is 3 years old (got receipt from previous owner) and was made by serck marston (or something like that :oops: )

Antifreeze concentration- a hell of a lot more than in the winter ( tried adding some just to see if it helped!)

Oil temp-When going down the motorway at 80 mph I was getting oil temps of 120c when even in the heatwave last year when doing 100mph (on a private rd) the maximum I got was 110c. And when parked up I could only get it down to 90c after idling for 15 mins and the fan heater on full blast whereas normally it goes down to 70/75c after a few mins. Even on normal roads it's regularly going upto 90-100c whereas before it was only getting upto 80c max.

I know these temperatures are just about alright but it's such a big change there's got to be something wrong somewhere and I wanna nip it in the bud before it causes some damage.

Ta
Andrew

andygtir

whats the water temp like- poss faulty water pump?

blocked oil hoses, have you cleaned out the oil seperator, breather hoses?

while your at it you may as well clean out the intercooler, it all helps!

faulty thermostat? - do the fans still come on automarically?

W

wizgti

andygtir said:
whats the water temp like- poss faulty water pump?

blocked oil hoses, have you cleaned out the oil seperator, breather hoses?

while your at it you may as well clean out the intercooler, it all helps!

faulty thermostat? - do the fans still come on automarically?
Water temp- spot on,no probs at all

oil hoses-got to check them.

oil seperator-cleaned 6 months ago

intercooler- cleaned 6 months ago as well

Fans- all come on by themselves and are as usual.

Ta

O

Olly

Hmmmmmmm thats a bit high chap ages ago on magnatec top mounted on stock boost i got 130 degrees after 10 laps around Goodwood when i first got my car before i modded it, I am not sure don't want to alarm you but James W once upon a time said to me he to had very high oil temps and eventually his engine died (extreme case) but before its death he had coolant pressure troubles and fitted a uprated 1.4 bar rad cap. So my gut feeling is maybe a headgasket staring to give on ya. :cry:

W

wizgti

Olly said:
Hmmmmmmm thats a bit high chap ages ago on magnatec top mounted on stock boost i got 130 degrees after 10 laps around Goodwood when i first got my car before i modded it, I am not sure don't want to alarm you but James W once upon a time said to me he to had very high oil temps and eventually his engine died (extreme case) but before its death he had coolant pressure troubles and fitted a uprated 1.4 bar rad cap. So my gut feeling is maybe a headgasket staring to give on ya. :cry:

Yeah thats what I'm starting to think as I am losing a tiny bit of water and have to top it up with about half a litre every month. Thats also why I'm trying to discover the cause before something major happens.

IF it is the headgasket how long do you think it'll be OK to drive as I very rarely go on the motorway and travel about 32 miles a day?

E

Edd

Might sound a silly question but have you changed the oil?

I've noticed (more so in my mates pulsar) as time goes on oil degrades and where i was gettin no higher than 80 degrees........same conditions (and same mods btw) he was gettin over 100....and i change my oil every 2000 miles and he changes his.........erm never :oops: :lol:

might be worth an oil change to see if its just degraded, try some millers 10w60, might make all the difference......and if it doesnt then at least you've ruled out one option.

W

wizgti

Changed 2 weeks prior to this happening!

Can't see how anything could of possibly gone wrong with oil change(even by me :oops: )

You can't get an air lock like you can when you refill a radiator can you????

Keep the ideas coming please cause I don't want this to be a headgasket!!!!!!!!!!

Davey

have you checked the water level(im guessing you have)?
When mine was very low on water, the water temp stayed the same, but the oil got very hot, might be worth a try?

W

wizgti

Davey said:
have you checked the water level(im guessing you have)?
When mine was very low on water, the water temp stayed the same, but the oil got very hot, might be worth a try?
I have in the filler bottle and in the radiator but I guess it might be worth bleeding the system just in case I do have any large air bubbles trapped.

Cheers
Andrew

W

wizgti

OK had to go on another long motorway trip today and it was just as bad and the water temp got hotter than normal too this time although that could just be a case of the oil getting so hot it's heating up the water.

I've speaking to a few other mechanically minded people about this and wondered if there was some kind of thermostat that could go faulty like in the coolant system that may make it overheat???? Or any other ideas-as still no sign of headgasket failure and it hasn't drank any water for over 2 weeks!

Ta
Andrew