Wheels with better brake clearance than Volk TE37

Trondelond

I've just had a chat with the authorities regarding the road legality of my wheel and brake combo. Funny thing - the brakes are legal, and the wheels are legal. BUT - in order to fit the wheels over the brakes, I have to use a spacer. Which is not legal. This leaves me with quite a problem.

The only way to have that combo road legal is if Volk themselves have tested my wheel with a spacer and can document that this is an approved setup. I seriously doubt that exists.

So - if anyone has experience on the subject, I'd like to hear it. I need at least 6mm more spoke clearance than the TE37 gives. I can't go wider than ET35.
Currently I have 15" inch wheels, will a set of 16" or 17" wheels with the same offset have bigger brake clearance?

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Send your bell and spacer (assuming it's a 2 piece brake disc) to BGdevelopments and they can make you new bells that can incorporate the thickness of the spacer into the bell.

Do Volk make a 15x7? (much dearer option)

Trondelond

How about welding the spacers to the wheel?
If they figure that one out when I'm in to have the brakes approved, I don't want to think about what they'd do to me! :D

Send your bell and spacer (assuming it's a 2 piece brake disc) to BGdevelopments and they can make you new bells that can incorporate the thickness of the spacer into the bell.

Do Volk make a 15x7? (much dearer option)
That sounds slightly better, I'm already on BGs case to see what 15" wheels they've confirmed fit.

Also, I've spoken to Demon Tweeks, and they sent me a couple of cool little pdf's that I can print to see if the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels fit. Clever stuff that. Unfortunately they are too big to post as attachments.

I'm trying some 17" wheels today to see if they fit, if they do, I'll probably use them to get the brakes approved, and then just use the TE37s and spacers anyway for road use.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You don't have to go to 17s to clear those brakes. 16s should do.

BG should be able to do the bells for £75ish each. That's got to be cheaper and less hassle than 2 sets of wheels.

The AP site used to have some templates you could print out for checking clearance on wheels, I don't know if they still do or not.

Trondelond

You don't have to go to 17s to clear those brakes. 16s should do.

BG should be able to do the bells for £75ish each. That's got to be cheaper and less hassle than 2 sets of wheels.

The AP site used to have some templates you could print out for checking clearance on wheels, I don't know if they still do or not.
I'll se what BG comes up with tomorrow, thanks. :)

I'm not sure if there are templates for this kit, as it's not AP but BG that makes it. If I get some info, I'll post it. :)