Wheel stud fitting

youngsyp

Hi

When you guys have changed a wheel stud, how did you get the new one to pull through the hub far enough ?
I put the stud in, put the wheel on and did the nut up on the specific stud, to pull it through. Only problem is, it's not pulled it through as far as the other three studs are ?! It's probably around 6 threads to short.
I only tightened the wheel nut up to around 80 lbs/ft and backed it off, then repeated. Finally torquing the nut to 75 lbs/ft.

I've read a better way is to use an impact gun on the wheel nut, with washers for spacers between the wheel nut and the hub flange face... Seems like a good idea but, I don't have an impact gun and don't fancy stripping the front brake down at a garage...

Paul

MarkTurbo

youngsyp said:
I've read a better way is to use an impact gun on the wheel nut, with washers for spacers between the wheel nut and the hub flange face..
Thats what i did when i fitted longer studs but used a ratchet instead of an impact gun. I just made sure the stud was located in its hole then put a couple M12 washers on the hub side and used an old wheel nut to pull it up tight.

If you cover the threads and face of the washers and the nut with copper slip it makes things a lot easier ;-)

J

jpward

When i had to do it i hit the old one out with hammer,

Then made sure that splines matched up and managed to tap it into place with a smaller hammer and then just refitted the wheel and tightened up nuts as per normal with my .5" Breaker bar and rechecked after about 500Mi never gave anymore trouble and i always smear a little copper slip on the threads when removing refitting wheels.

;-)

youngsyp

jpward said:
What all off those two caliper bolts!

:p
It's four bolts actually !

The two caliper bolts and the caliper spacer bracket bolts !! :lol:

Paul

P.s. I've got another idea to try first though ! ;-)

youngsyp

Had a look at the wheel stud today and it turns out it was pulled all the way through. It's just a slightly shorter stud than all the others !! :doh: :lol:

Strange thing is that now all the wheel studs are fitted again, along with the alloy wheel nuts, I no longer get a vibration through the steering wheel at 70 mph ! :lol:

Paul